We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
packages (Read 272 times)
packages
Jan 25th, 2008, 12:19pm

I can't believe it's been a year since I last did P55. I went from as2 to P55 to as3. Now after a year of as3 I'm a bit fed up with it :-p

I'm ready to take up P55 again but I want to start right. When I look at my older P55 sketches I'd sometimes have up to 20 classes.
Having learned a great deal in as3 the past twelve months I'm trying to create packages for my P55 classes for better structure. But I'm a bit confused how to do this.
Obviously just creating folders in the sketch folder doesn't work. I searched and ended up here http://dev.processing.org/libraries/. Is that the only way to create packages? I'm not trying to create a library, I just want to structure my classes. Does that also mean I have to compile to jar each time I want to test?

I can't wait to start coding P55 again Smiley
Re: packages
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2008, 1:14pm

For me the best way to work with complex projects is using eclipse instead of the processing IDE, where you can use packages. Take  search at the forum on how to use processing core from within eclipse. If you understand german there are some posts in my blog on this feature.
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2008, 1:19pm

You can put a couple of related classes in a bunch of new tabs within processing. I have a project with 23 classes, and they're separated across 12 or so tabs and it's fairly easy to work with I find.
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2008, 1:31pm

When I said 20 classes I meant 20 pde files. I just don't want the mess of them all residing in the same place.

I've always used an external editor. I tried Eclipse once and couldn't get used to it (I missed macros and vertical selection etc). But I'll try to see if I can extract the info I need from that topic (luckily I can read German).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1