We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware,  Documentation,  Website Suggestions › Processing + External libraries package
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing + External libraries package (Read 767 times)
Processing + External libraries package
Jan 16th, 2008, 12:02pm

Hi,

I've faced this problem a few times and I still don't have a good solution, so here it goes:

I teach Processing and every so often the lab computers are updated (read formated, or substituted) and Processing (and everything else) needs to be reinstalled.

I usually end up installing the latest version available (that I've worked with) and the external libraries that I use most in my classes.

The problem is that installing libraries one by one is a pain in a**. I tried copying the old libraries but some of them get updated so I need to check every one of them anyway.

<wish>
What would be cool was to have a package of Processing and *All* the latest extern libraries (or just a package of libraries ready to be copied to the libraries folder).
</wish>

What do you guys feel about this?

PS: I volunteer for doing this, provided we find a mechanism to help keep things up to date (without me polling library pages to see if they were updated since last time)
Re: Processing + External libraries package
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2008, 10:08pm

I'll be teaching processing this year and I'm sure I'll hit the same issue.

What about a library downloader. There is a database of libraries out there on the internets. And you can go to one spot and get the latest ones you need. Have a link under tools called " get libraries" it take you to a libraries download page and away you go.

Just another 2c.

P.S. I'm getting into the habit of storing the libraries for a sketch in the code folder with the sketch. That way when I come back, it'll still work even if functionality has changed in the lib. In a lab situation it's a good habit to get into.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1