We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing for commercial websites
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing for commercial websites (Read 1168 times)
Processing for commercial websites
Jan 15th, 2008, 6:08pm

hello people(and bots),
first post here. I was considering using processing for a website, sort of like most people would use flash, and maybe connect it with a MySQL database to keep it dynamic, etc, and I wanted to know if:

a) are there people already doing this?
b) is this advisable?

I'm relatively "new" to processing, that is to say that I've been toying with it sporadically for a few years now(the more complex thing I've done was a 1d cellular automata simulation), but I think I have enough scripting experience to manage it.

So, am I crazy for considering it or should I go for it?

thanks a lot, and greetings from the South of the World.
Re: Processing for commercial websites
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008, 3:54pm

...anyone? Sad
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2008, 8:28pm

go ahead! I don't see any limitations...
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2008, 10:20pm

I'm using a processing applet on the front page of my portfolio site ( http://www.novonon.com ), and while I really like the look of having a generative art piece embedded in the page, it does have some disadvantages. It slows load time substantially, is moderately broken in Internet Explorer because of IE's default security settings, and is broken on systems that don't have a java plugin installed (although this last is less common than it used to be). Were I more of a web designer, I might know a workaround for the load time (ie insure that it's the last element loaded), but it hasn't been a priority.

Good luck!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1