We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Using proMidi (Read 659 times)
Using proMidi
Jan 9th, 2008, 8:06am

maybe i'm just not doing enough research, but i can't figure out how to use the proMidi library to control software like garageband or logic

shouldn't it be possible to use this library to have an applet send information to these programs the same way any other external MIDI device would?

i've read some threads about the library not working 100% on macbook pro laptops (which i'm using) - will this be a problem?
Re: Using proMidi
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2008, 9:08am

On my Windows box I had to install an extra software routing app -- basically something to serve as a virtual connector between proMIDI running in Processing and the other app(s).

This seems totally byzantine to me, but I guess it's just an example of MIDI showing its age. (Not an issue with OSC messages, for instance, which behave more as you'd expect.)

On Windows there's a program called Midi Yoke that does the trick. I've heard abt an OS X equivalent called Jack --

http://jackosx.com/

-- and I'm sure there are other options, too.

Once you've got that installed, it'll be a matter of sending your Processing output to something like 'Jack MIDI Channel 1 In' (get proMIDI to print out a list of available ports to figure out which one that is) and then designating 'Jack MIDI Channel 1 Out' or similar as your input in whatever other program(s) you're using.
Re: Using proMidi
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2008, 7:22am

Thank you so much Robin for this helpful link. This will definitely save me routing these midi signals with hardware cables - which is what I've been doing up to now. Argh!!! :-)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1