We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Native application feel (Eclipse + SWT + P.core)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Native application feel (Eclipse + SWT + P.core?) (Read 628 times)
Native application feel (Eclipse + SWT + P.core?)
Dec 20th, 2007, 3:12pm

'Lo.

I'm looking into the possibility of building a (preferably) cross platform application using the processing classes with a native(-ish) look and feel. I'm considering Eclipse and SWT for the task, and integrating processing into a frame. Anybody have experience on this? Or what about Qt? How about using openGL in this cocktail?  

(Yep. Read the FAQ regarding AWT/Swing already, that the AWT wrapper works so-so, and thought that some more contemporary widget toolkit might work better.)

Cheers all
Mkn.

Re: Native application feel (Eclipse + SWT + P.cor
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2008, 4:13am

Possibly related... I have a Nokia N800 that runs Maemo4, a derivative of Debian Linux.  As of very recently there's a J2SE VM  (www.Jalimo.org) on this platform, but no AWT implementation, only SWT.

I'd love to be able to use Processing for prototyping stuff on this tablet (but have no interest in Swing or AWT per se)... but Processing-generated apps barf at the lack of AWT when I try to run them.  I can run command-line Java applications no problem.

So my question is: is it possible to decouple Processing apps from AWT and hitch them onto SWT instead?

BTW for those who're interested, Robert Schuster who's working on Jalimo has Processing working on OpenMoko, the linux phone platform. Smiley  

his blog is at http://www.fsfe.org/it/fellows/robertschuster/weblog/ but the openmoko screenshots of Processing he had up recently seem to have vanished.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1