We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › recursive parsing of XML
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
recursive parsing of XML (Read 1597 times)
recursive parsing of XML
Dec 16th, 2007, 8:50pm

Hi all !

I'd like to use your so GREAT experiencies/knowledge.

I'm working on a visualization of a social network that provides xml file for each user.
in each xml file, there are names which refer to other xml user file.

I'd like to read the first xml file for the "seed" user (i.e the point from which the network construction begins) and to recursively read all the xml file quoted in the seed xml user file and etc etc (with a constant and not infinite depth of course..)

with proXML I had some problems (cause I'm not an expert)
How can I do to open an xml file, and another, etc etc etc ?
each time I do that, XMLEvent is called and it gives me problems!

I'd like to use a function instead of XMLEvent function.

any ideas ? any experiencies ?

indeed, without using XMLEvent function, I can't get the element structure and thus I can't begin my construction...

talk soon
Re: recursive parsing of XML
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2009, 6:16pm

Julien, did you ever get an answer to this?  I am having the same issue.  It seems that, no matter what XMLElement you want to work with, the same xmlEvent() method is called, so I'm not sure how to indicate when I'm pulling XML file A, direct the output to XMLElement object B, and so on.
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2009, 6:19pm

I aborted this project... because of time to spend for this..

I know that today, Processing core includes xml features.
it may probably be easier..
I cannot tell more, sorry
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2009, 12:47pm

hmm.. i used multiple xml elements before without any problems, wasnt recursive multifile though, so maybe there is indeed some sort of limitation with that, but do you have some example code to look at? also, tried submitting it as a bug in http://dev.processing.org/bugs/ ?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1