We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › proXML + iTunes
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
proXML + iTunes (Read 1385 times)
proXML + iTunes
Dec 10th, 2007, 5:56pm

Hey there,

I'm looking for a way to access the XML file of the iTunes Music Library.
Unfortunately I am completely new to XML.
I took a look at the proXML library witch seem to be able to do the job.

I also found this page where the structure of the iTunes XML file is explained.
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/11/03/itunes.html

Can give me an example how I could access the fields like Name, Artist or Location?

I'm trying to make a small interface that can play the songs in my iTunes Library.

Thanks a lot.
Re: proXML + iTunes
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:15pm

Hello!

I have the same problem. My teacher wrote a code which can read the file and put the parameters into a string. but it does not work precisely.

If you want to I can send you the code.  But I am also interessted if you have already solved the problem.
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2008, 8:27pm

hi guys,

i have done some music library visualisations recently. i cleaned the code (a bit Wink) and uploaded it here:
www.extrapixel.ch/processing/processing_itunes.zip

you'll need to copy your library-xml file into the sketch data directory. ITunesLibrary.java, ItunesRemote.java and Track.java belong into your sketch folder. ITunesRemote works on OS X only, but the library-parsing stuff should work on windows too. oh and you'll need to have proXML installed. I'll probably pack this up into a proper library one day...

hope it helps!
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2008, 10:25pm

That´s real cool stuff!

Maybe I´m not allowed to use it for my school, but when I write some visualistion methods for it, I will let you know.

Thanx a lot!!!

Greetz
Pete
Reply #4 - Feb 29th, 2008, 3:59pm

awesome!

thx a lot.
I will work my way through with this.

so long

broenni
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1