We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Video analysis best practices? (Read 630 times)
Video analysis best practices?
Dec 7th, 2007, 8:44pm

Hi all, I am relatively new to Processing and so I am looking for guidance in the best method of reading video data for media creation.

I tried the basic route of loading a movie, reading pixel values and outputting a new movie from the data I got. Processing didn't seem to be able to keep up with the video's native framerate, so the derivative video looked something like a time-lapse due to all the dropped frames.

I am starting to think that I will need to export the original movie as an image sequence to ensure that each frame is read. Is that the direction I should be moving towards? If so, are there any examples of best practices for this? I am a bit hesitant to go that way without consulting with more knowledgeable folks because it's going to greatly increase workflow.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks so much.
Re: Video analysis best practices?
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 1:35pm

Arg, I was really hoping someone had responded to this because I am in the same boat. Wondering if anyone has any ideas? Is there a way to say

1) Load the movie
2) Load a frame
3) Load frame's pixels to do some analysis, output results to text file
4) Move to next frame
5) Repeat until done...

I have everything set up fine for a single image, just having trouble figuring out how to approach it with video.

I would appreciate any guidance soooooo much!

thanks!

EDIT:

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Video;action=display;num=1196870672;start=2#2

This thread was very useful! Have a look at reply #2 by polymonkey, worked great for me. to stop when I was done, i added an if statement:

if (movieTime >= 1) {
   exit();
}
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1