We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Academic Inquiry about Processing.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Academic Inquiry about Processing. (Read 630 times)
Academic Inquiry about Processing.
Dec 4th, 2007, 3:54am

Hello to any readers of this post. I am a graduate student in Media Studies at The New School University in New York. I am currently working on a paper about the ideology, politics, and economics of Free/Open Source Software. I am using Processing as a case study/model and was looking for any general feedback to these inquiries.

1. Would you use processing as a tool if it was not open source.

2. Does the openness of the software effect the way in which you approach the work created using processing.

3. As artists/creative types do you find yourselves drawn to open source tools due political, cultural, or economic beliefs.

Any feedback would be appreciated, nothing is being quoted or cited for the paper, but a general sense of a community's identity for processing would be beneficial. Feel free to reply to the post, message me, or email me at immaterial.labour@gmail.com. Thanks in advance to any responders!- Patrick
Re: Academic Inquiry about Processing.
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2007, 12:44pm

1.yes
2.yes
3.yes
Re: Academic Inquiry about Processing.
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2007, 9:07pm

pjc,

i recommend writing direct emails to a number of processing users that you find through this board, the exhibition, flickr, del.icio.us, etc. i'm not sure how many people will stumble across this post or if they will be representative of the diversity of processing users.

please share the paper with us!   Smiley

casey

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1