We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware,  Documentation,  Website Suggestions › Accomodating non-US non-geeks better
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Accomodating non-US non-geeks better (Read 1324 times)
Accomodating non-US non-geeks better
Nov 28th, 2007, 1:38am

I bought an artist friend the processing book as a birthday present with the result that I've just wasted well over 2 hours in an unsuccessful attempt (via chat) to get processing to actually work on her computer, the difficulties apparently stemming from the fact that she had the audacity to pick a non-ascii login name. Much mutual frustration ensued.

I appreciate that this doesn't seem to be a bug in processing proper, that processing is FLOSS and you get what you pay for etc. -- but surely, for a program that's  aimed at an international non-geek audience, the current way to "handle" this jikes/windows suckage is just a joke.

The error message is pretty much completely useless, other than as a first step for googling which turns up a 2005 discussion forum thread, which doesn't turn out to be super-encouraging either.

So off to the FAQ and on to the Troubleshooting page (minor aside: I think making "troubleshooting" a FAQ item that links to the dedicated page or even merging the whole section in might be worth considering).

After finding the right item (which, BTW is also likely to stump some people, given the disconnect between error message and anything that's directly referred to in "troubleshooting" -- why not mention the symptoms rather than just the cause?), the only offered "workaround" a member of the target audience is (possibly) likely to be able to implement, namely asking users to create a new login name, strikes me as pretty last-ditch.

Now various other hints are offered, if one is willing to trawl through the linked bug-report/discussion messages referenced, but none of them are spelt out in any detail.

I tried the build.path and sketchpad.path approach but with no luck (after spending quite some time to direct her to find the damn preferences.txt file), even after manually also creating the folders (the error still indicated that the build was still attempted in the old path). Maybe build.path is now obsolete? Or maybe my friend made a mistake (a non-geek screwing up hand-edtiting some obscure settings file certainly seems a possibility). God knows.

There's also a mention that javac *does* properly handle non-ascii filenames -- but it is unclear what follows from this.

For example will using the non-java-included version do the trick? Not mentioned. If that indeed fixes the problem, how about adding a download for "non-English windows" users (not quite accurate, but probably good enough) that comes with sun's javac rather than jikes. Or at least include a download link to the right jdk.

Or maybe one could make it easier for the user to diagnose the problem and specify an ascii-only dir (no text file hacking, a better error message with a link to a step-by-step workaround description etc.).

I'm not sure what the best answer is, and I appreciate that there might be no fully satisfying solution.

But one way or other, as things currently are I would certainly think twice before recommending processing again to anyone who isn't either a geek or has an ascii-only name -- which seems a pitty.

Re: Accomodating non-US non-geeks better
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2007, 2:26am

sorry to hear it was that frustrating, we badly want to fix that particular bug. i've spent hours trying to get it straightened out but it's neither easy to test nor simple to fix. (and unfortunately nobody in the community has contributed a fix for it either.)

though i'm also confused why you had so much trouble finding the answer: the troubleshooting page is mentioned in the second sentence of the faq. it's also mentioned under "how do i get started" (#3 in the faq). on the troubleshooting page there's an item named "processing won't start". the second item in that section says "you can't use a non-ascii user name". we try to document things as well as possible, but i guess it's never gonna be perfect.
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2007, 9:52pm

unabletoprocess,

Geez, that does sound like a frustrating time!

That being said, I feel it's important to also remember that the continued development/refinement of Processing is really dependent on all of us now-not just B&C. I did really understand and appreciate your points, but I also felt the tone in your post was a bit directed at an "other" ("them" perhaps rather than "us"). I certainly don't want to speak for Ben and Casey, but I imagine I might feel a bit frustrated by such posts, after devoting years of their lives to this project with essentially no remuneration, so many of us (literally tens of thousands) could reap the benefits from their vision and labor. Alright, enough guilt. Now, let US fix those problems.

Very Respectfully,
IG
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:56pm

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still wondering if there there is a not too involved way to use processing on windows with a non-ascii username. For example, if I install suns' jdk 1.4 and download the no-java-included version will that work Or is jikes (which, I gather, causes the problem because of broken filename handling) somehow required in any case

Any hints much appreciated.

(If nothing comes up I'll probably give fixing it a shot myself and report back, provided of course, my friend retains her interest in processing -- but it'll be some time in the next year before I next see her and have time).

fry wrote on Nov 28th, 2007, 2:26am:
though i'm also confused why you had so much trouble finding the answer: the troubleshooting page is mentioned in the second sentence of the faq. it's also mentioned under "how do i get started" (#3 in the faq). on the troubleshooting page there's an item named "processing won't start". the second item in that section says "you can't use a non-ascii user name". we try to document things as well as possible, but i guess it's never gonna be perfect.

I didn't have much trouble finding that answer (i.e. "don't use a non-ascii user name") and in fact it was the first thing I suggested to my friend. Trouble was

a) turned out she didn't do it (she tried to modifying her account, unsuccessfully)

b) after further explanation she somehow doesn't consider the workaround of creating using a different user account satisfactory (but after some goading, she finally resigned herself to using another account and has now progressed to page 40 in your book, but she's still not quite happy with that setup).

c) so I tried to get her to apply one of the other workarounds alluded to in the archive, but that took a lot of time and lead nowhere.
  • But I've built-from-sources, debugged, installed and indeed written plenty of software -- I've got a pretty good mental model of what's going on. I wonder if the majority of non-ascii-user-name-non-geeks who install processing will not simply give up on it if it's the first thing they encounter.

I understand the problem is tricky and time consuming to fix properly (given its persistence) -- but maybe there are some simple temporary measures that could still alleviate newbie frustration I mean thinks like checking the user name or install path for non-ascii characters and issue a comprehensible warning message ("You appear to be using a login-name that contains no-latin characters, because of a problem in a 3rd party product processing uses, this may currently cause X to fail if you do Y. Please look at http://... if you run into difficulties.").
  • Page Index Toggle Pages: 1