We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Processing with Android
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing with Android (Read 1456 times)
Processing with Android
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:58pm

How can these two libraries be combined in P5 or in Eclipse?

re:
http://code.google.com/android/
Re: Processing with Android
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2007, 12:53am

You can use eclipse to write Android (which whilst it i java syntax, isn't actually compiled to JAva) but not processing.

It might be better to think of Android as the same sort of level as Processing, rather than as a library. I think it might be easier to get processing sketches running within android, rather than the other way around.
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2007, 1:03am

Well, Android is not like processing, though it does have some overlap -- in that Android uses its own OpenGL and UI components.  I would choose processing because Processing has built-in functionality and is more familiar to me, but...

By the way, there is $10 Million offered by Sergey Brin.  This fool called me and told me about it.  How cool is that!  I told him I didn't want to work for him because I had already lost my idea to someone else.  YouTube was conceived for this man indeed.  I, however, remain my anonymous low-brow self.  It's hard being independent!
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2007, 8:21pm

that said, i'm personally interested in developing a version of processing that will build code for android devices.. it's quite close to one of the original goals behind the processing graphics library (then called 'bagel') and work i was doing at that time:
http://acg.media.mit.edu/people/fry/bagel/
android seems to be a well thought out, and *open* standard in the small device space, which is badly needed.

of course, it's not likely to happen soon, i've got too much work to do on the regular version of processing.
Wink
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2007, 9:47pm

I was thinking about this too, however as far as I can see it will not be a small task, because processing uses AWT (i guess) and Android has it's own graphics system, so all the processing commands for drawing (eg line() triangle()) must be remapped to the concerning functions in the android framework.
Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2007, 10:06pm

AFAIK, processing only uses AWT/SWING for the container, all actual drawing is entirely internal I think.
Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2007, 9:19am

To set up Processing to output to Android really shouldn't be tremendously difficult - the 2D drawing API is slightly different from Java2D, but will be easily adapted to, probably requiring just another renderer target (lines, fills, images, and text are all supported).  Some system calls might have to be rewritten, but overall very little else should need to change.  3d might even be plausible since OpenGL ES is included in the Android specs.  For now a lot of stuff might need to move to fixed point because floating point support is still weak on mobiles.  Apart from that, the structure of the applications will need to change a little bit, too, but it shouldn't be too horrendous to get it working.

Ben, if you want to try to get this going, I'm definitely willing to put some effort in as soon as I upgrade away from my Powerbook (can't run the Android emulator on PPC, so I'm not going to be doing much with it until I move up to an Intel Mac or over (down? Wink ) to a PC), probably in a month or so.  Android is something I am very interested in, and I think making Processing work with it would be an excellent thing for a lot of people.  Were you thinking more of building a separate PDE for Android apps, or adding another deployment target to the current environment?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1