We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
javafx (Read 3262 times)
javafx
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:43pm

i did a search but was surprised no one has asked about javafx here yet. is it a no no thing to bring up? do we like javafx, or is it just to new to comment on at this time?

is processing just way better, whats javafx missing do we think? i maybe able to prod them...
Re: javafx
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2007, 7:02pm

This section of the board is not very lively as you can tell.

I think the audience for Processing (and particularly this forum) is largely an audience of beginners. I would guess many have not heard of JavaFX.

I don't see its existence changing anything that we're doing here. It seems very focused on GUIs and consumer applications for products; this is Flash's market and not our focus.

Are you excited about JavaFX?

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2008, 10:56pm

aNt wrote on Nov 20th, 2007, 12:43pm:
is processing just way better, whats javafx missing do we think i maybe able to prod them...

Or, since the IP from which you posted that message is from inside sun.com (and quick googling confirms that you're working there), you could instead say "Hi, I'm at Sun working on JavaFX, what do you guys think about it" Why troll by not stating that up front That really bums me out.
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2008, 12:25am

hu, ip, google- really?

i'm a fan of processing used it to prototype at tomato; yep working within sun doing some stuff 'HI', just was wondering what you dudes thought of the javafx, no smoke and mirrors intended. thought most people new what i was up to these days sorry.
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2008, 12:49am

Having had a quick look at the first couple of hits in google my first impression is "euwww" it's aimed far too much at sales/marketing buzzword-o-philes and there's no information about what it's actually like for someone who actually wants to use it, just for people who're likely to tell other people to use it because it sounds good.

Moving on to openjfx: the first demo is about tabels and databases... erm, a completely different target audience it seems than what processing is aimed towards.

So basically it looks like jfx is for java people who want to make shiny interfaces, and processing is a digital arts tools.. so completely unrelated software.

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2008, 3:38pm

what made me forget about JavaFX is it's syntax. please, tell me why does it rely on yet another scripting language? personnaly, I won't spend my life exploring new ways of declaring a class.
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2008, 10:56am

you can just do 'Java' inside JavaFx because its compiled at the end of the day. you MAYBE able to call the JavaFx scene-graph and api's from Java as well (MAYBE).

I'm looking over media support next week. Just thought I'd ask if there was anything you would like me to request- my list is long, but I'm more then happy to make it longer.

low latency audio is on there, along with video.
Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2008, 10:30am

I've just browsed around about javafx, and I found it rather interesting.
At least a couple of scenarios intrigued me.
Please not that i have not looked at the syntax at all, just the visual aspect.

1. the applet without a box (a round clock)
2. the exportable applet (copy from web to desktop, if applet allows it, and use as a gadget)
3. vector applets
4. movie and sound support
5. Google earth integration
6. Faster loading time

Here are some links to a couple of videos:
http://news.zdnet.com/2422-13568_22-200560.html
http://news.zdnet.com/2422-13568_22-200368.html

I can understand what Reas means by Flash market.. But I've always looked at Processing as the cute version of Java.. The visually pleasing one of the two.. The one I could control the way I wanted..
And I've always thought it was more flexible, and a hell of a lot more stable than Flash.. So I believe there is a market for both Flash and JavaFX..

We shouldn't close the book on JavaFX just yet.
Let's see where it goes when it's released, and take up the discussion after that..
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2008, 2:46am

My take on JavaFX is that it could be interesting, but only if people actually get it installed on a wide scale and it works a whole lot better than the applet plugins have for the past ten years (which, to be fair, is finally fixed with 6uN, better late than never!).  I'd pretty much need to see a bug free release right out of the gate to really consider it seriously as a platform - though they do a lot of great stuff, and I love the Java language, Sun has a track record of letting all sorts of user-facing bugs and RFE's fester for years as long as they don't impact enterprise, so my assumption is generally going to be that if it doesn't work in the first version, it's not going to be made to work unless the entire thing is rewritten and rebranded.

Actually, that probably sums up my view of JavaFX more than anything else - it's Sun's promise to deliver all the goodies that they gave up trying to do right in applets.  So while I'm interested, I'm reserving judgement until I see some actual results...
Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2008, 5:59pm

I'm new to programming,we're using processing in uni to learn java, but I have been looking around at Sun's other stuff & ran into javafx. I think it looks cool 'n all - but I can't figure out why the homepage is done in javascript and has quicktime movies. Wouldn't this be the place to showcase javafx?? Also no linux SDK???

That's all I can know enough to comment on - but my long term goal is to learn coding for visual and audio RIA so I'll be keeping an eye on javafx.
Re: javafx (& JMC media library)
Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2008, 2:52am

Hi, I am not really interested in JavaFX, but I am *extremely* interested in the Java Media Components (JMC) library. From my limited testing over that last two days it seems to work very well (for playback) on windows and mac os x (even on 64-bit macs with java 6). However, there is hardly any documentation about it, and also it seems that they want people to use the JMC library *only*  through JavaFX.

So, for now, it is not really usable. But at some point hopefully in the near future we will be able to use it and have a true cross-platform video solution. And also it doesn't look like there is any way you can actually grab the bytes from the video. Sad

It would be nice to be able to stop using JMF and QT4Java and other outdated/hack-y ways of playing with video.

So, if anyone is listening at Sun (or if aNt can do some prodding...) I vote for releasing/documenting JMC independently of JavaFX and adding methods so that we have full control of the media! Also I think if the JMC library is really exceptional and available outside of JavaFX then it might give people a valid reason to check JavaFX out. From following the 1.0 launch I don't see any reason at all to use JavaFX at the moment, and as you can probably guess I was disappointed about JMC not being usable for anything other than playback.

-sj

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1