We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › ESS 'Unable to load sound'
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ESS 'Unable to load sound' (Read 2385 times)
ESS 'Unable to load sound'
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:18pm

just trying to get an mp playing using the ESS library.. have pretty much tried copying a simple example from the docs... so in a class i have:

Code:

public void setup()

{

size(500,500);

background(0);

Ess.start(this);

frameRate(30);

myChannel = new AudioChannel("C:/workspaceProcessing/SoundVisualiserTest/bin/raver.mp3");

bufferSize=myChannel.buffer.length;

bufferDuration=myChannel.ms(bufferSize);

myFFT=new FFT(512);

}

but i keep getting an Unable to load sound path error. Anyone had this before?

Cheers
James
Re: ESS 'Unable to load sound'
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2007, 5:19pm

do you have the other libraries you need to load mp3 in place? because ess will give the same error in case you haven't ...

http://www.tree-axis.com/Ess/mp3_import.html

F
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:05am

Good shout... hadn't seen those. Thanks chap
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2008, 1:31am

Hi Guys,

although i installed the three other libraries, i keep getting the same message "unable to load sound xxx". I believe i'm placing them in the wrong folder. I tried the folder "code" inside the project, libraries and Ess folder. Still not working. How can i install them correctly?

many many thanx
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2008, 2:03pm

You install into a folder named 'data' in your project folder.
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2008, 6:45pm

Hi,
I'm also trying to use ESS to play an mp3 file but Processing displays the "unable to load sound" message.

I've downloaded the .jar files (jl 1.0.jar, mp3spi 1.9.4.jar and tritonus_share.jar) and placed them in "C:\Program Files\processing-0135\libraries\Ess\library".

I also tried putting them in a "data" folder next to my .pde but it doesn't help.

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2008, 1:08am

I've been fooling around with ess loading sound and found that i could only import aiff files... this could be an option for using ess, but i find it a bit limiting as well
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2008, 1:02pm

If you are using java 1.6 it wont work until the tritonus library is buitl with java 1.6 which seems unlikely unfortunately.
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2008, 3:51pm

Running Mac Leopard:

Make sure to add the required files:
http://www.tree-axis.com/Ess/mp3_import.html

Add mp3 files into
dir_to_sketch/data/someSound.mp3

Wait for a bit when loading a "real" song. Everything works after that.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1