We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › a list of vertex shapes
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
a list of vertex shapes (Read 1022 times)
a list of vertex shapes
Nov 3rd, 2007, 1:59pm

A thing that would definitely speed up my work is to have a list of the vertex coordinates/code to all kinds of shapes instead of spending time on doing them myself. Lets say I need a hexagon or a star for my sketch, then I just go this list and find the code for the shape. Everyone should be able to contribute with code/shapes to this list. What do you say?
Re: a list of vertex shapes
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2007, 8:41pm

Hi,

In my processing course, my teacher developped a little application in Applescript that analyzes a shape in Illustrator and returns the shape with the correct syntax to paste it into so Processing (with beginVertex, ect). It saves lots of time for more complex shapes.

You can download the application here (some of it might be in French though) [LINK WAS UPDATED ON FEBRUARY 15 2009]
http://www.computerarts.ca/_files/_temp/vector_illustrator.scpt.zip

Th advantage to use this little application as opposed to the ImportSVG library is that you can later on modify the x & y position of a specific point in the shape.

For PC users, unfortunately, we don't have an application that does the same thing but it probably exists.

I hope this helps in a way.

Cheers

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:23pm

There is the geomerativ library thats provides you an easy way to create stars and other simple forms. To save and reimport shapes you can use proSVG and the Candy lib.
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2007, 9:57am

steven, that is an amazing script! thank you so much!! really
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2007, 5:01pm

You're welcome.... I wish I could take the credit for it! Smiley
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2007, 7:58pm

hi,
steven, can you please tell me which school you study?
I'm studying in france also (strasbourg) and i'm looking foward to do my last year of study in a school where i can have some more like minded people.
in my school, there's nothing about code/generative art...

merci, (et si t'es en Aix, tu pourras m'expliquer comment ça se passe là-bas un peu??)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1