We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Better indent/unindent for IDE (Read 4237 times)
Better indent/unindent for IDE
Oct 23rd, 2007, 1:47am

It's probably been suggested already--didn't find the exact request--but I was wondering what the developers might think about an Notepad++-style indent/unindent?

Notepad++ (and it's probably not original with Notepad++) allows users to select a block and tab/shift-tab to increase/decrease indent level.

I quickly got used to that feature, and it seems more useful than the current "replace block with tab" functionality, (in my case, usually followed by a pungent expression (kind of) like "Crumbs!", and a hasty "Undo"....)

FWIW!
Re: Better indent/unindent for IDE
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2008, 11:16am

about that !!! Notepad ++ use a simple file .api, which is a text file with all the functions name listed for the auto-completion and the color can be set as well with the XML !!
I'm a Notepad++ user, and would love to have processing file recognize by it. can the developers do something about it ?

thanks
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2008, 11:47am

the file with the keywords is in keywords.txt inside the lib folder next to Processing:
../processing-0135/lib/keywords.txt

not speaking for them but i don't think notepad++ support is very high on the priority list of ben and casey (as much as they'd probably love to see notepad++ support Processing syntax). you might give it a try yourself and share the results with us ...

F
Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2008, 10:03pm

Back to the main topic, I totally agree with suzuki...

Since most text editors have this very useful and addicting tab indent tool (I'm using Notepad2 and there's this feature too), why not follow the principle of least astonishment Wink
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2009, 7:55pm

To use Notepad++ with Processing you might want to try this:
1. Navigate to the Program folder;
2. insert the following code into the "userDefineLang.xml" file: http://pedamado.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/userdefinelang.doc
Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:40am

I had the same problem, and I think that shortcut should be implemented in the IDE.

You can do it in the current IDE though, the chortcut is CTRL+} and CTRL+[ will indent and outdent a block of code.

It's not intuitive though for users of other editors.
Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:44am

Also, I filed a bug report on this ages ago, but perhaps it's worth rethinking.

The bug is here:
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=946

Feel free to vote for it.
Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2009, 4:00pm

Kevin, in case you didn't notice, the Tab/Shift+Tab to indent/unindent a group of lines is already implemented in 1.0. (At least it works for me, on WinXP.)

Although the Shift+Tab handling has a little bug, it should also when there is no selection but the caret is in the indentation area. At least I am used to this behavior.
Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2009, 5:33pm

Ahhh, I didn't notice it had made it into 1.0. That's cool - thanks for the info! Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1