We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
QTException, QTJava won't work (Read 1334 times)
QTException, QTJava won't work
Oct 19th, 2007, 10:29am

Hi,

I have been trying to capture webcam images in processing. It seems though, that QTJava isn't installed properly (I am working on a Windows machine). I have tried to uninstall the JavaRuntimeEnvironment, Quicktime and VDIG completely, and then installed a new version JRE (jre1.6.0_03). After that I installed Quicktime (version 7.2) and VDIG (1.0). I see QTJava.zip is installed in the jre1.6.0_03/lib/ext/ folder.

I see an older folder jre1.6.0_02 is also installed, but it is completely empty except a lib folder, which is empty too.

QTCap gets an image from the cam.

When I just try the following simple code to check available cams I get an error.

Code:

import processing.video.*;  

Capture myCapture;

void setup() {  
 size(640, 480);
 println(Capture.list());  
}

Error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: quicktime/std/StdQTException
at Temporary_311_5452.setup(Temporary_311_5452.java:8)

(It looks like no QT class is recognized by java?)

I have searched around the net and the forums here, but I couldn't get a working way anywhere. I'd be happy if someone can give me any help here.
Re: QTException, QTJava won't work
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2007, 2:03pm

what happens if you open a command prompt and type:
echo %QTJAVA%
does it give you a path?

i wonder if apple once again changed how installation works with 7.2, because you're not the first to have this problem with the new quicktime.

perhaps try reinstalling quicktime again?
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2007, 11:46pm

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

When i do the command prompt it finds the QTJava.zip in the c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\lib\ext\ directory.

What I found out is that no custom install is possible anymore with this quicktime installer, but it does install QTJava.zip. It should be, if java is installed, and that is the case here. Maybe Java doesn't link to the QT classes?

Installing quicktime again: Have tried it already... No succes...

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2007, 10:57pm

turns out to be a bug, fixed for 0131.
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=654
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2007, 9:02pm

Thank you for the quick update! It works Smiley

For future reference I will post following mail I had with Apple Developer Connection regarding custom installation for Quicktime 7.2 which isn't required anymore:

=========================================================
Re: QuickTime for Java

Hello Jeroen,

Thank you for contacting the Apple Developer Connection regarding QuickTime for Java. Please know that QuickTime 7 does not require a custom install, QuickTime for Java is now installed by default, however you will first need to have JDK installed (the Microsoft JRE is not sufficient). If you have installed Java after installing QuickTime, you must install QuickTime again. I hope you find this information useful. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you have any further problems or queries.

Best regards,

Luke Hoctor
Apple Developer Connection

Worldwide Developer Relations Inquiry from Jeroen regarding Software Downloads

Hi,

I want to do a quicktime installation which I can customize, so I can install QTJava. At your site I find the following text:

"In order to install QuickTime for Java, developers will need to select QuickTime for Java in the Custom install option. The installers can be found at the following location:"  

The problem is, the installer just doesn't give me the option to select a custom installation. It just installs... My version of the installer is: 7.2.0.240. Can you please help me?

Regards, Jeroen
=========================================================
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2007, 9:52pm

yes, that earlier paragraph of the reference was out of date--i couldn't figure out why people kept talking about the custom install in qt7. i've updated it for the next release. just a sync problem between casey (who wrote the first half of that page) and me (who wrote the bottom half).
Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2007, 11:48am

Well, it is still stated on the QTJAVA site too. That's where I got confused.

Smiley
Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2007, 2:51pm

Umm... I'm pretty sure I've played out all parts of this problem, and still can't get it to work:

Processing .133 (supposedly after the bug fixes), I specifically add as a vm argument the -Djava.library.path= and I can even get that out in the program with a println, but it still says "no qtjava"...

ALSO: this is realllllly weird. there is only one println statement in the whole thing! (in setup) why does it print the line 2x!?

can ANYONE get this library to work!?
Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2007, 4:28pm

spare the all caps stuff, that's not how java.library.path works. if you can't get it to work with eclipse, post in the integration section.
Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2007, 5:30pm

It works for me now. Try replacing the content of the java directory within the processing folder with a newer version (the installed java-folder with the jre). I have copied the content of jre1.6.0_03 into that folder.
Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2007, 3:10pm

I did what hype1 did, and still can't get it to work.

Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2007, 9:02pm

I have the same problem.Did you solve it taifunbrowser
?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1