We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Screensaver (Read 7428 times)
Screensaver
Oct 4th, 2007, 7:14pm

Hey,

I thought about converting a Processing app to a screensaver a while ago.

After some search I came across the Saverbeans SDK and decided to create a "meta-screensaver" Smiley that allows you to run your own Processing app as a screensaver.

So here it is: http://jorgecardoso.eu/blog/index.php?/archives/100-Processing-Screensavers.html

This was hacked up in a few moments so there is probably some room for improvements...

enjoy,
jorge
Re: Screensaver
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2007, 8:21pm

I've put together a small webpage for this tool with some simple instructions: http://jorgecardoso.org/processing/Screensaver
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2007, 12:11pm

cool. i will give the linux version a try and let you have some feedback.
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2007, 12:33pm

ok, no joy yet. i think this is because i'm running xscreensaver 5.03 and that changed quite a bit from version 4 (i had compile errors where the new code has parameters in a different order or with an extra dpy at the front). will have another go when i find the time, or see if i can get versio 4 from somewhere. these problems may be with javasavers code rather than yours.

one thing though, you have a makefile target with a space in it - 'Processing Screensavers-bin' i think. this doesn't work. make it 'Processing-Screensavers-bin' and that'll help.
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2007, 1:37pm

Hmm, ok thanks.

I'll try to get my hands on a Linux to test this too...

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2008, 6:11am

I think I found an anomaly that has been driving me nuts for the past 6 months that I have been playing with this ProcessingScreenSaver. When the saver goes on, the screen is blank. The app runs fine within Processing, and if I double click the .jar file it runs fine.

My steps using Processing 0125(might be a problem, haven't tried the newest version)
Using WinXp

1) Install ProcessingScreenSaver as outlined in the instructions.
2) compile the following code
3) export it
4) copy the jar file to my system32 directory
5) Select ProcessingScreenSaver as my saver
6) Give the name of the app (without the .jar) to the Settings section
7) Set the saver to go off in 1 min
8) Wait 1 min to see a blank screen.

Code:

float t=0;
void setup() {
size( screen.width, screen.height );
}
void draw(){
background(0);
ellipse( 5*t%screen.width, 100*cos(t) + screen.height/2.0, 40, 20);
t += PI/8.0;
}

Turns out, if I take out the cos and the PI, it works fine. This leads me to believe there is a Math library missing? Anyone have any ideas/have the same problem?
Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2008, 12:32am

Has anyone had any joy using this on a Mac?

Another question - anyone tried integrating Processing with Quartz Composer?
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2008, 8:47pm

squirrelsnuts wrote on Feb 6th, 2008, 6:11am:
I think I found an anomaly that has been driving me nuts for the past 6 months that I have been playing with this ProcessingScreenSaver. When the saver goes on, the screen is blank. The app runs fine within Processing, and if I double click the .jar file it runs fine.

Hi.

I tested your code with Processing 135 and the screensaver runs fine...

Does it work when you right-click in the ProcessingScreensaver.scr and choose 'test'

jorge
Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2008, 1:28am

jorgecardoso wrote on Feb 11th, 2008, 8:47pm:
I tested your code with Processing 135 and the screensaver runs fine...

No joy there. I tried with 0135 and same problem. (File > Export, copy .jar file into system32 dir, wait 1 min, black screen, no ellipse making a cosine wave)

jorgecardoso wrote on Feb 11th, 2008, 8:47pm:
Does it work when you right-click in the ProcessingScreensaver.scr and choose 'test'

No, the right click > Test does not work with the ellipse_test code mentioned above with cos in it.

Any other suggestions I am using WinXP, Processing 0135.
What OS are you using If you are on XP as well, then it is some environmental setting/issue, but I have no idea where to start looking.

Does my JRE come into play when using this I have the 1.6 JRE, but 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 are also installed. (don't ask it is a work machine.)

Thanks for your help.
--squirrel
Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2008, 12:31pm

works fine here...

only opengl applets seem to be a problem.

is there anyway to make it run opengl sketches?
Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2009, 12:22pm

Anyway to get the ProcessingSaver full project with source code?
Reply #11 - Dec 28th, 2009, 3:39pm

yep defenitly OPENGL problems...
no 3D yet...enough trying for tonight
Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2010, 8:29am

Hello,

I tried this with WinXP.
No success.
I use a normal P2D-sketch (but with lots of sin...).

Where did I go wrong    Cry

Thanks,

Chrisir

http://openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=8098

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1