We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › "Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate"..
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
"Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate".. (Read 1457 times)
"Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate"..
Sep 29th, 2007, 12:17am

My applets all display this message when loaded in a web page with IE (Firefox does not do this):

"Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate and use this control"

Is there a way to disable this message?  It is ugly and
obtrusive.
Re: "Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate"
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2007, 12:23am

Unfortuately I think Microsoft had to add that due to some legal agreement due to patent infringement I think.
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2007, 12:33am

They are infringing on my work now!!!
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2007, 2:30am

I think there are some Javascript hacks to get around this - Google "Eolas patent" for more info.  The quick version: Eolas has a patent on something regarding browser plugins (fairly or not, the USPTO decided in Eolas' favor), Microsoft got sued, and had to add the "Click to activate" thing to try to dance around the patent (though this wasn't court ordered, it was likely an attempt to show a good faith effort not to continue infringing or something like that).  Firefox, so far, doesn't really seem to care if it infringes upon the patent or not, probably because the devs don't think it's likely someone is going to come to them to score easy money - after all, the first rule of patent trolling is to go after the rich companies first.

Microsoft apparently finally settled with Eolas, so maybe in the future this will go away.  I'm not sure, though.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1