We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
webcam capture (Read 11013 times)
webcam capture
Sep 23rd, 2007, 2:54pm

hi everyone.

I'm a new user of Processing. I'm trying to capture my webcam, but still have issue.
I know that you guys have thousand of subject like this one on this forum, so I appologize to ask again, but I've tried many solution, and it still doesn't work !!
I've tried with Processing with java bundle, and the one without !
I changed the path to the QTJava Environment too, to be sure it goes to the right QTJava.zip
Here is what I get :

Code :
import processing.video.*;
Capture myCapture;

void setup()  
{
 size(200, 200);  
 println(Capture.list());

}

Error :

java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't find any capture devices, read the video reference for more info.
at processing.video.Capture.list(Capture.java:515)
at Temporary_7690_3459.setup(Temporary_7690_3459.java:7)
at processing.core.PApplet.handleDisplay(PApplet.java:1285)
at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:680)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1454)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't find any capture devices, read the video reference for more info.
at processing.video.Capture.list(Capture.java:515)
at Temporary_7690_3459.setup(Temporary_7690_3459.java:7)
at processing.core.PApplet.handleDisplay(PApplet.java:1285)
at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:680)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1454)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

thanks for your help !

btw I'm on a notebook with winxp sp2 and a Logitech Quickcam Notebook Pro
Re: webcam capture
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2007, 11:54pm

nobody can help me Sad ?
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2007, 1:18am

Looks like your webcam is not recognized by processing.

Can you give me your Processing (with or without Java ?), Quicktime, (using Vdig) And Java version ?
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2007, 4:55pm

well ..

the "with or without java", it's coz you can download it with or without it obviously !

I did download the last one, so it looks like its the processing-0125

did also download the last Quicktime on Apple.com (7.2), now you can't choose to customize your installation anymore, but I did check the QTJava.zip and it's there, I also verified that the environement variable was pointing on it !

and my java version is... 6 I think Sad

what is Vdig ?
are there some special steps to install Processing and make it work ? I didn't find any clear documentations about that !

thx for your answer by the way and thx for your help

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2007, 7:35pm

any idea Cry ?
Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2007, 9:33am

Your computer can't find any camera because you don't have a VDIG driver installed.

http://processing.org/reference/libraries/video/index.html

Quote:
If you are not using an Apple computer, you will also need a VDIG, a video driver that translates from your hardware to the video functions used by QuickTime. This software may be included in the software provided by the maker of your hardware, or you can download the free VDIG available

Check in your Video Card driver's CD if you've got VDIG.

If not, you must download WinVDIG_101.exe (no more supported and available on the official VDIG website).

http://www.shiffman.net/vdig/WinVDIG_101.exe

The other solution for Windows users is to use JMyron, i haven't tried it myself on Win, so i can't say more.

Good luck. Wink
Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2007, 12:27pm

thx !!!!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1