We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › alternative to processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
alternative to processing (Read 1515 times)
alternative to processing
Sep 18th, 2007, 2:18pm

hello..
i'm doing a live visuals show soon and there seem to be too many bugs i processing to use it for my perfomance.
does anyone have an idea in another coding laguage where i can do what i did in processing? heard someone use c and c++? what would you say?
and no im not stopping using pocessing, i love it. just need some thing for my performances untill processing 1.0 is released.

Slm
Re: alternative to processing
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2007, 6:46pm

it all depends on what you want to do.. ive done live visuals and processing worked just fine for me. BUT there's the thing about java.. its slow when we want more and more on screen.. i guess the answer to your question would be: it depends on what you're trying to achieve..
im a c++ & d3d guy but i found processing attractive and enough for visuals... so far =)
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2007, 10:25pm

Processing has a surprising versatility that's often underestimated (myself included). For alternatives, you might want to discover VVVV and OpenFrameworks.
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2007, 10:37am

Just be aware that vvvv and openframeworks are in beta release too. I've seen plenty of live done with processing and working great at high framerates. Not sure what u can't do due to a bug limitation, it really depends of what u wanna do too.

If you're looking after performance, you can give a look at shaders (hlsl) or (glsl). VVVV or Jitter can be use for that but it really depends of your needs.
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2007, 12:55pm

i've seen some dude's website where he shows how he hacked processing to use opengl shaders.. uses pure opengl and loads your shaders.. still i havent tried it, so i cant say much about it.

http://shaders.computaciongrafica.com/

and.. yes, shaders are the way to go if you're looking for eye-candy stuff.
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2007, 4:51pm

its not that i need shading tecniques and stuff. what is do i basically very basic, but one of my current problems is that smooth and strokeWeight cannot be used with push and popMatrix. smooth doesnt work is p3d or opengl and strokeWeight doesnt work in opengl. and i need to use either of the to use push and popMatrix..
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2007, 10:01pm

line weight works just fine to me.. ive done alot of wireframe fx and i do use matrix stack.. it works!

about antialiasing, i activated it with my card's own software.. or watz compile a opengl.jar which enables antialiasing.. you can just use that when you do you shows
Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2007, 3:21am

Smooth works with OpenGL for me, as does strokeWeight, might be a graphics card thing.

As for P3D, I believe Ben posted a hack for fat lines a while back - see http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=123.  I remember using his solution once and it worked fairly well for me, though it might not be exactly what you're looking for (at some angles the lines look odd, if I recall).

What you really need is a capped cylinder for each line, but that could get pretty expensive depending on how many lines you need to draw and how complex the cylinders are.  If you'd like to give it a shot, I know someone once posted a tube class or something like that - that would probably do the trick, maybe search around the forum a bit.

Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2007, 3:10pm

I'm running a 2.0 ghz macbook. Could it be something with the graphics card? in OPENGL strokeWeight doesn't work above 4(px) and smooth does not work for lines as in the regular renderer, as they are not curved at the ends. Is it only me experiencing this problem?

Slm
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1