We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Choosing Line In on a macBook
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Choosing Line In on a macBook (Read 4625 times)
Choosing Line In on a macBook
Sep 9th, 2007, 5:36pm

I have a macBook but i have tried this on a macbook pro as well, Even though i select the audio input in system preferences to use lineIn, processing continues to use the internal mic. This is true in minim, ess, and sonia. is there a way to specify the audio input device?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Choosing Line In on a macBook
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2007, 10:11pm

I wish there was, but at this point in time it doesn't seem to be possible. At least not using JavaSound (which is what Ess and Minim use).
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2007, 8:36am

You could try this.

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower

Install it, choose soundflower 2ch as the out, soundflower 2ch as the in under system prefs/sounds.  However, you will not hear the audio.  Never fear, download LineIn from http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/ and choose "Default System In" and the output device of your choice (headphones for instance).

Voila!  

Info courtesy of Chandler, a Barbarian cohort.

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2007, 9:23am

unfortunately i couldn't get this last tip to work, but i may not have set preferences correctly. my "workaround" was to run the whole thing under windows (on my macbook) which seems to listen to the sound input selection of the main computer.......
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2007, 4:00am

Having the same trouble here, soundflower isn't working to choose line in with 2ch set in system prefs either.  Can get the audioInput to work in XP but can't seem to the DVI to VGA out to work... ugh... any suggestions/resolutions to this?  Really frustrated and stuck!
Thanks!
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2007, 9:34am

hi,
did spend some time with the "sound in" issue. you can read what i found out here. bottom line, i can only use the routed sound with sonia - ess and minim unfortunately fail, i guess because of what ddf already found out, javaSound. short note on soundflower and lineIn, instead of using lineIn with soundflower you can also use soundflowerbed which comes with the soundflower package - run soundflowernbed and use the pulldown-menu in the menubar. to hear what you are playing, choose "build-in output".
best,
andi
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2007, 7:19pm

andi,
 thanks for the helpful information.  I'm now successfully running a line in through Sonia and Jysn with soundflower on my mbp!
Cheers!
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2007, 7:53pm

LineIn from rogueamoeba works well with the Ess library.
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2007, 10:51am

hi andreas,
lineIn and ess just wont work on my macbook pro here, it always defaults back to the mic input. what is your lineIn and system preferences setup on your iMac? are you using headphones?
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2007, 8:42pm

Ok, I'm on a 1.9 GHz Power PC G5 IMac with OSX 10.4.10 running. I've plug an audio in on my Line-in connector start LineIn and choose Input from: Build-in Audio: Line In. Thats it. My visual app use Ess as sound library and it works well.
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2007, 11:38am

ah ok, then we are actually talking about 2 different setups. i am using itunes to playback sound which i then use in processing to feed my sound analysis, on the same machine.  feeding e.g. sonia with an internal audio stream is not possible by default, therefore i use soundflower to route the sound internally into sonia.

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2009, 5:40am

helvetica wrote on Sep 9th, 2007, 5:36pm:
I have a macBook but i have tried this on a macbook pro as well, Even though i select the audio input in system preferences to use lineIn, processing continues to use the internal mic. This is true in minim, ess, and sonia. is there a way to specify the audio input device

Thanks in advance!

i know this discussion is outdated, but i just figured out i had the same problem.
i'm making audio-reactive apps and i needed to choose between mic and line in on mac, and it looks it doesn't works.
well right now, using Processing 1.0.5 and Minim, the only thing to do is select audio input source, in system preferences or via Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource, before launching the app (or running it from processing).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1