We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › vectorisation algorithm
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
vectorisation algorithm (Read 633 times)
vectorisation algorithm
Sep 4th, 2007, 3:40pm

Hi,

I'd like to build a program and before start coding i'd like to know if it's possible, the difficulty (i'm new to processing) and some ideas of the building concepts (best algorithm), maybe someone did this before and i miss it too.

I'm using another program that generate some shapes in 2d in black and white. The problem is that i'd like to use theses shapes to build some animations that'd require zoom, and with pixel shape it looks ugly.

I could use illustrator (or any vector program) to vectorize each shapes but i think using processing to do that stuff automatically would be better (batch processing).

I'd like that the sketch analyse the black area of the starting shape and export the vectorized version (using pdf or svg export).

Should i begin using 2d mesh ? as my shapes aren't primitives.

Hope i'm clear enough,
[ana]
Re: vectorisation algorithm
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007, 4:50pm

if you post a couple examples of the shapes to be traced, people would probably get an even better idea of what you are trying to do.

I'd recommend trying to duplicate the shape into a mesh, yes.. Then you can scale as you like..
If all you have of the shape is an image, you'll need a tracing algorithm..

http://melanoma.blogsome.com/2006/04/10/skin-lession-tracing-boundary-algorithm/
this was kind of gross, but you should still be able to convert it to processing.

Good luck.

seltar
Re: vectorisation algorithm
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2007, 5:13pm

Thx for answer & the link seltar.

Actually i'm @work so i can't post images.
I'll asa i'll be @home.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1