We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
DV Capture? Face detect? Ouch! (Read 1155 times)
DV Capture? Face detect? Ouch!
Sep 1st, 2007, 7:25pm

Hi,
 I'm trying to develop a system for an installation running on a dual-G5 powermac that connects to my firewire DV camera and does the following:

-Upon a trigger (I'm hoping for video motion detection, but I don't know that that's realistic) plays a quicktime movie.
-Uses something like OpenCV to determine if a face is looking at the camera at the end of the movie
-If so, starts recording full size/framerate DV off of the firewire camera, and continues until the face leaves the frame for some number of seconds or a time limit is reached.

I was originally looking at integrating OpenCV and QTKit in Cocoa but my Cocoa skills are proving not nearly skilled enough.  I noticed that someone in the Processing community released a version of the OpenCV face tracker that'll output face tracking information to OSC, but I can't have both that software and P5 (I'm using JMyron now but could change to any other video capture toolkit) accessing the same camera.. I could solve it by placing a webcam next to my DV cam and using one for capture and the other for tracking, but that seems a bit complex..

Before I go any further down this road, is it possible that I can grab full-size/framerate video acceptably in P5? My goal is to capture video that I can later edit into something DVD-quality.  My camera's up to the task, I'm just worried about not dropping frames.  It's not really important to me that there be a preview window onscreen, so if P5 could trigger another capture application, that would work too..

I know this is kind of a scatterbrained question but has anyone looked at problems like this before? I'd appreciate any input.

Cheers,
Ryan
Re: DV Capture? Face detect? Ouch!
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007, 4:29pm

I looked at it ... I think there have been some JNI OpenCV projects for Java before, so it's not uncharted territory.

It should be possible to interface with OpenCV on the same machine. But you will need a Java interface for OpenCV -- and I expect you'd wind up needing to roll your own. If you mean this project --

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencv-p5/

-- right now it's just a readme. Smiley

Honestly, unless you have tons of time, why not use the capture libraries you have, simplify the analysis you're doing, and just experiment a bit?

You don't need to access the camera from two places, because once you have the image data you can copy it into wherever it's going in Processing.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1