We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › promidi update for mac osx
Pages: 1 2 3 
promidi update for mac osx (Read 13282 times)
Re: promidi update for mac osx
Reply #15 - Sep 15th, 2008, 3:38pm

Thanks tex, it works a lot better now on my mac.
Reply #16 - Oct 21st, 2008, 6:48pm

hello

norwoodfunk - i got the same errors as you - until I installed the mandolane libs. www.mandolane.co.uk
mandolane is a fiver, and although RWMidi is reported to handle note offs better, i'm sticking with promidi at least for a while.

let me know how you get on.

s
Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2008, 6:55pm

corporreal- I've been developing with promidi in eclipse today; the example pde code which comes with the promidi download when moved into eclipse worked ok as in my last post, when I installed mandolane; I just put the two files
libMandoMidiJNILib.jnilib
libMandoMidiJNILib.jar
into /Library/Java/Extensions and it picked up the midi ins ok. If you have a server which others will use, this should be the best place, as then any java apps which need to contact external midi interfaces will work.

s
Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2009, 3:50pm

tex wrote on Aug 31st, 2007, 5:44pm:
Hi All

Some of you had to wait quiet long now, but here is the new proMIDI version, integrating mandolane. I haven't done so much testing but all the exceptions on the mac are gone.

Thanks a lot to Bob from the mandolane team, who prepared a special oem version for me and this way supported the processing community.

http://texone.org/promidi/promidi_mac.zip

Ok I am brand new to Processing so excuse my ignorance but I really want to use this library but can't understand where I should place the .zip file?
Reply #19 - Jan 25th, 2009, 10:12pm

Hello,

Is this version of proMIDI the same one that is available to download at http://www.texone.org/promidi/ ?

Also, by using this mac-specific version, will I lose windows functionality?

I am working on a program that is ideally meant to run on both platforms. I am testing proMIDI because of the built-in sequencer functionality. I am also planning on using MIDI input, output, and the Java Sound Synthesizer (if possible).

Thank you,
Richard
Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2009, 2:11am

Man, this this is nutty. I cannot for the life of me get inputs to show up in the new version of Processing (1.0.1).

Can anyone confirm this is actually working?

Here's my setup
OSX 10.5.6
Processing 1.0.1

promidi.jar (There's 2 versions... the one currently on ProMidi's website under the promidi 2.0 download is 96Kb created Sep 7, 2006). The one available on this thread is 48KB created Aug 7th, 2007). Neither work.

In my Library/Java/Extensions i  have:
mmj.jar (latest, Jul 7, 2008)
libProMandoMidiJNILib.jar and . jnilib

I cannot get any of the examples that come with promidi to see either my O2 or MidiKeys (virtual midi keyboard).

I thought I got this working, but i mistakenly had it running under the old processing (0145 or something). I deleted in the meantime so i can't go back.  

HELP!!! Please!!! Agg!!
Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2009, 2:17pm

Hi alecks,

I'm not sure if this will help you, but when I first tried ProMIDI it took some work to realize that it enumerates the channels from 0 to 15, whereas my device was quoting the channels from 1-16.  So although the device was working on channel 10, proMIDI was expecting me to quote channel 9 in the code.

Hope that helps. I don't know about your Mac, as I'm still running a PowerPC with Tiger installed.

Good luck.

beatkeeper
Reply #22 - May 15th, 2009, 4:44pm

After installing everything I ran the MIDI-test and got the following message:

Quote:
Exception in thread "Animation Thread" java.lang.ClassCastException: uk.co.mandolane.midi.MMidiTransmitter$Info
     at de.humatic.mmj.spi.CoreMidiProvider.getDevice(CoreMidiProvider.java:122)
     at javax.sound.midi.MidiSystem.getMidiDevice(MidiSystem.java:200)
     at promidi.MidiIO.getDevice(MidiIO.java:202)
     at promidi.MidiIO.getAvailablePorts(MidiIO.java:213)
     at promidi.MidiIO.<init>(MidiIO.java:127)
     at promidi.MidiIO.getInstance(MidiIO.java:148)
     at sketch_may16a.setup(sketch_may16a.java:30)
     at processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw(PApplet.java:1400)
     at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1328)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
Reply #23 - May 15th, 2009, 4:44pm

Quote:
Exception in thread "Animation Thread" java.lang.ClassCastException: uk.co.mandolane.midi.MMidiTransmitter$Info
Reply #24 - May 15th, 2009, 5:13pm

Where did I go wrong?
Reply #25 - Jun 17th, 2009, 2:06pm

I'm not a definitive source seeing as how I develop with and run a PC but my understanding is that tex received a special OEM distribution of a Mandolane (http://www.mandolane.co.uk/) MIDI layer that allows proMidi to work on OSX.

With Java 1.5 update 4 and Java 1.6, the jnilib files provided in the first post of this thread will no longer work.  I've contacted tex and mandolane to see if they can hook us up with 64-bit compatible versions so just waiting for a response at this point...

So if anyone one is expecting trouble-shooting help, definitely list what version of Java you're running.
Reply #26 - Jun 21st, 2009, 6:23am

alkopop79 wrote on May 15th, 2009, 4:44pm:

Quote:

hey guys - I got the same message! can anyone please help?

in my java extensions I have: libMandoMidiJNLib.lar
                                            libMandoMidiJNLib.jnilib
                                            libmmj.jnilib
                                            MandoMidiTester.jar
                                             mmj.jar
and a readme file

so does anyone now my fatal fault? I'm sory but i'm pretty new to processing.
Reply #27 - Jun 21st, 2009, 7:56am

hey guys. I got the problem solved. the mmj file apparently blocked the mandolane file so that it wouldnt open. now that i removed the mmj.jar its all up and running. i still have a quistion though: i use midi-swing running in the background to be able and play the sounds. the problem is after some time it crashes and you need to reload your it in order to play properly - anybody got a better software??
Reply #28 - Aug 27th, 2009, 5:22am

Hey everyone,

So I installed mandolane, but it's the trial version from the mandolane website itself. It works, but wasn't there a version of promidi with integrated mandolane? The promidi that I got from the creativecomputing website doesn't list IAC devices.

The texone.org website doesn't seem to work, so I can't download the mac specific version...

Anyone have any other links? I'm developing an app inside Eclipse and want to open source it afterwards.

Edit: I'm considering moving to The Midibus and mmj...

Edit2: Sorry, I found it Smiley the mac specific version (with integrated mandolane) can be downloaded here: http://creativecomputing.cc/p5libs/promidi/promidi_mac.zip
Reply #29 - Sep 28th, 2009, 8:24am

Hi all

About 2 years ago, Mandolane offered a free version of its MIDI software to processing users on Macs.

A lot has happened in two years - we've seen Leopard, then Snow Leopard, and both 32 and 64 bit versions of Java.  Mandolane has attempted to keep pace with all of these developments.  In the meantime, the only viable alternative, MMJ, has now been discontinued.

I would like to repeat the offer we made two years ago with the latest version of our software for absolutely no charge. Please can the person who supports Processing for Mac contact me via the Contact page on our web site.

Mandolane
Pages: 1 2 3