We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Video out, not just video in (Read 985 times)
Video out, not just video in
Aug 30th, 2007, 3:18am

So, the Video library has a nice set of options for getting video in from various sources. What about piping the contents of a Processing window (or a PImage -- whatever) OUT to various outputs (composite video, etc.)?

Specifically I'm thinking of a Blackmagic card, which goes through the usual Quicktime interface & is easy to pull up as a source. I'm just looking to go the other way.

(And not just by setting the output to act as an extension of the desktop, like an external monitor, and dragging the Processing window into position -- I'm hoping for something a little more programmatic & direct.)

Any clues?

Thanks so much.
Re: Video out, not just video in
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2007, 10:30pm

So just a bit of, er, self-follow-up here -- I suspect if there's not some feature built in to Processing that I'm just dumbly overlooking (and I don't think there is) then the solution must reside somewhere in here --

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Reference/1.4.1/Java141API_QTJ/

Does anybody have any experience with video out and Quicktime in general and/or QT for Java?
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2007, 12:05pm

2-3 years ago i tried to implement a movieplayer using qtj that would allow to have processing sketches run as a video layer (mixed with other sources). it was working to a certain level, but i could not get rid of the flickering (maybe a threading issue). i'm not too sure where my code ended up, but i can search for it over the weekend and mail it to you.

F
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2007, 6:13pm

That would be terrific, if you can dig it up. Thanks!
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2007, 1:36am

BTW, I totally figured this out. Has to do with diving a little deeper into Java and using the AWT libraries to select different displays. This is for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread via googling.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1