We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpVideo Capture,  Movie Playback,  Vision Libraries › 2 different video outputs from 1 sketch
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
2 different video outputs from 1 sketch (Read 770 times)
2 different video outputs from 1 sketch
Aug 23rd, 2007, 2:22pm

Ok, here I go, I'm currently working on a project which should do the following:

• capture video from external source set it as bg
• have a drawing tool over that video
• broadcast 2 different outputs, 1. where you can see the video + real-time drawing, 2. where you can only see the real-time drawing on a blue bg used for bluekeying.

I'm fine with the first 2 (although I'd like to get that drawing smoother, is there anything like smooth() for P3D?). The real tricky part is the 2 different sources I need to broadcast. I actually have no clue what-so-ever on how to get this thing going, so every push in the right direction is sincerely appreciated.

I'm still quite a newbie, but trying to get the hang of it all.

Thanks.
Re: 2 different video outputs from 1 sketch
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2007, 5:14pm

Hi,

if you have a dual-out graphics card, you could extend your desktop to the second monitor. Then make your sketch the size of both screens like so for example:

screen1 : 1024 * 768 (video + real-time drawing)
screen2 : 1600 * 1200 (real-time drawing on a blue bg)

= sketch size : 2624 * 1200
-> sketch size is the union rect of the two screens when placed next to each other. You have to change the values to the resolutions you're using.

In the example above, things drawn with x>1024 appear on the second screen (your output 2).

Your device which does the bluekeying could capture the output from screen2. Not sure what you're using there though.

patrick
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2007, 4:13pm

sounds totally logic Smiley I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2007, 9:59am

Ok, been trying this out which works nicely, though I'm still having some problems.

1. The drawing on the video looks crappy as smoothing doesn't work in P3D.
2. The larger I make the canvas the slower the drawing part gets (due to the scaling video capture), ok, understandable, any way to speed this up?

Thanks.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1