We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Cannot create certain fonts
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Cannot create certain fonts (Read 756 times)
Cannot create certain fonts
Aug 7th, 2007, 9:51pm

Hey guys -

So, it seems that some fonts will not show up in the Create Font function.  For example, the font "Tunga" shows up only as  rectangles, even with "All Characters" checked.  But its a TTF, and other TTFs show up perfectly..  Is there a special method for non-Roman fonts?  Sorry if this is documented, I didn't see this particular problem in my search..

Re: Cannot create certain fonts
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2007, 5:11pm

i had the same problem.
using textmode(SHAPE) in opengl solved the problem for some fonts.
and using blending-modes in opengl solved some problems with the rendering of some fonts.
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2007, 10:56pm

movax, are you on a mac or pc? does it do this with any of the built-in fonts?

with "all characters" set, it should be picking up everything it can.
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2007, 3:48am

I am on WinXP.  You can tell which fonts won't work because they show up in the "Create Font" dialog as all rectangles.  However, the fonts that don't work are still TTFs so I don't know what could be different..  

An example of built in fonts that don't work are Symbol, Wingdings..  
Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2007, 12:39pm

movax, fry, or anyone ... i'm on WINXP, and using adobe type manager, and it seems that only the fonts that were installed directly to WINDOWS/Fonts, rather than those managed by ATM by using shortcuts, are the only ones that Processing lists. I wanted to use Avant Garde so I removed it from ATM, and installed to WINDOWS/Fonts, but they dont show up. Is there some kind of cached setting perhaps, that list() uses, rather than somehow interfacing with the actual system? What could I be overlooking here. Right now I've got a list of about 100 fonts available to me in Processing, and about 3 of them are worth using Smiley And all my nice fonts just unavailable.
Alternatively I don't suppose there's any standalone way of producing vlw files?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1