We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Graphics Issues (Read 970 times)
Graphics Issues
Jul 24th, 2007, 7:15am

Hi,

I am puzzling over the following issues - any thoughts?

-As stated on the site, to get Processing working well (or at all) on some computers, I have to update the Video card drivers...  Is there any old set of JOGL  (I think) that I can use so that people don't have to confuse themselves with driver updates? Or some other way around this?

-The main graphical components of my software are simple buttons (drawn using beginshape/endshape) and assorted rectangles, etc.  
For a fairly conservative use such as this... even with a fully functional OPENGL and selectively using draw(), it seems quite hard on the processor.  Using P3D or the standard Java system - it barely runs at all.  
Is there a reason for this? is there anything that I can do about it?

Thanks for reading -
Xpn

P.S. Using WinXP on some fairly good computers
Re: Graphics Issues
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2007, 10:40pm

for the first part, unfortunately no. when sun redid the newer jogl api, they seem to have nixed support for some older graphics card drivers. earlier versions of processing used the older jogl api, but they're definitely no longer supported, and have far more bugs than more recent releases.

for the second part, that shouldn't really be the case if you're using noLoop() and redraw() properly; or if you're using frameRate() to set the frame rate lower. you might try posting your code over in the 'programs' section if you think it's a problem.
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2007, 9:06pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply -
It's a pity that they no longer support the older drivers (people may wonder why a piece of music software requires up-to-date video card drivers Wink

I suppose that the P3D and Java systems may be so slow because , although fairly simple, there are a lot of things for them to draw (and they have to redraw on mouseMoved events).

Cheers -
Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2007, 2:00am

that sounds like you might not be using redraw() properly. if you're gonna redraw on mouseMoved, you should just leave things in loop() mode, otherwise you're probably calling redraw() faster than even 60 fps or so.

redraw() is useful when it's a mouse click or state change, otherwise you shouldn't bother with noLoop() and the rest, and just use the draw() method in its default mode.

P3D is quite fast but most limited by java's ability to move a big block of pixels to the screen (i.e. a 1024x768 drawing area with one triangle is *far* slower than a 300x300 drawing area with the same triangle, even though there's no more extra geometry).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1