We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › processing on solaris
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
processing on solaris (Read 916 times)
processing on solaris
Jul 17th, 2007, 1:20am

Has anyone tried to port processing to Solaris? I'd love to use it for my class in the fall but our lab machines are running solaris. I've started down the road to building it myself but haven't made it all of the way yet.

I'm currently up to:

Building PDE for JDK 1.4
ANTLR Parser Generator   Version 2.7.7 (2006-11-01)   1989-2005
ANTLR Parser Generator   Version 2.7.7 (2006-11-01)   1989-2005
javac: target release 1.3 conflicts with default source release 1.5
Building serial library...
javac: target release 1.1 conflicts with default source release 1.5
Re: processing on solaris
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:30am

Hi,
this is what I did to get Processing running on Solaris..:
I have recent Solaris Nevada here (sometimes referred as 'Solaris 11', but it's basically Solaris 10 - that should, however, not matter since the biggest hassle was to change shell script that runs processing, therefore it should be ok on any more or less recent version of Solaris)
- I've changed line #3 in processing shell script to
APPDIR=`dirname $0`
( original line APPDIR=$(dirname "$0") )
- installed jikes from blastwave.org - follow HOWTO use Blastwave on site, then do /opt/csw/bin/pkg-add -i jikes
- copied jikes from /opt/csw/bin/jikes into processing folder
- completely remove java folder from processing folder - you should have some Java installed on machine

After this it should be possible to run processing by invoking its startup script
Hope that helps
Re: processing on solaris
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2007, 4:21pm

you also probably need

javac -source 1.3 -target 1.3
and
javac -source 1.3 -target 1.1

instead of just

javac -target 1.3
or
javac -target 1.1

though really, you don't need to recompile at all for solaris, just follow the instructions in the reference for adapting to other *nix platforms.
http://processing.org/reference/environment/platforms.html#other
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1