We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › Can processing work with 3d animations????
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Can processing work with 3d animations????????? (Read 1253 times)
Can processing work with 3d animations?????????
Jun 25th, 2007, 8:17pm

Hey guys, this is my first post so hope someone can help. I am using processing for the code I will need to talk to an arduino board. My question is really more about the processing side though. I have made 3D animations using 3D studio max and want to use processing if I can, to help display the rendered animations (dog) in some form. Thing is i,m new to processing so could someone tell me if it is possible to do this?????

I was told to use openGL but again i,m new to openGL so i would love anybodys advice to display animations.
Re: Can processing work with 3d animations????????
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2007, 8:23pm

Unfortunately, as far as I know there's no library that can import animated 3D models/scenes, just static ones (in .OBJ format)
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2007, 8:32pm

ok well i think I read you can use openGL with 3d animations, so if i have the code in processing to read in the signals from the arduino board and then have the processing code talk to openGL (which has code for the animations), do you think that will solve this dilemma? = )
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2007, 9:51pm

I think you've seen some over-simpliied information.

OpenGL itself doesn't understand the animations. it just knows how to display 3D info. You have to write/find the code that does the work of loading the objects/scene, and doing all the work with the info (such as animating it, moving boes etc) to be able to supply OpenGL with polygon information.
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2007, 2:08am

You mentioned that you want to display "the rendered animations." Does that mean you already rendered them? If so, you can import quicktime format movies into processing. You could then manipulate the individual video frames within processing. Alternatively, you could render the animation as a sequence of stills and mess with those as PImage objects.

Also, if you are only doing a camera animation, you could do that inside of processing. Deforming the geometry would be tough.
Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2007, 2:21am

Thank you sansumbrella, you have given me some hope in processing. Yes i made the animations in 3d studio max and have them ready to be exported as avi's/quicktime. basically what i would like to have is straightfoward code to handle -
if(analog output (from arduino board) is <= predetermined figure 1)
{
   play animation 1;
}
else if(analog input from arduino board is <= predetermined figure 2)
{
   play animation 2;
}
etc.
So is this possible in some form with processing? I don,t really want to deform the geometry anyways as I have all the hard work done in 3d studio max.

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2007, 11:40am

hi,
processing has a integrate movie class, that you can use..
just load your movies in and play/stop it based on whatever conditions you need..

import processing.video.*;

Movie mov;
Movie mov2;

[in setup]
mov = new Movie( this, "filename" );
mov2 = new Movie( this, "filename2" );
mov.loop(); // set this movie to loop infinitely

[in your mainloop]

if(analog output (from arduino board) is <= predetermined figure 1)
{  
   mov.read(); // read frames
   image( mov, 0, 0 );  // show movie frames
}
else if(analog input from arduino board is <= predetermined figure 2)
{  
   mov2.read();
   image( mov2, 0, 0 );
}

use mov.pause() or mov.stop() to pause and/or stop..

you could use some set of flags to activate calls..
just play with it, see what you can come up with.

i cant help you on the arduino control.. never tried any
Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2007, 1:53pm

Thank you, you have been a great help. At least I know now where i stand on this matter as i,m new to processing myself but it looks like its straightforward enough code.
Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:43pm

Hello Guys!
I am kinda interesting in the "same" import, thou I would like to import 3D objects from 3d studio max,Maya, etc. rather than animation.

So, I am interested in exporting a complex 3D object (OpenGl text format?) file and import its "coordinates" to processing, where I would like to manipulate this object further?

Any help would be appreciated !

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2008, 8:07pm

ok, fellows , as I haven't got the answer here, I had to find it by my self Wink however, here is useful link http://users.design.ucla.edu/~tatsuyas/tools/objloader/ for processing object loader, if still of any interest!

All the best!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1