We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Heap (Read 654 times)
Heap
May 28th, 2007, 8:07pm

Hi,

I am running a large program in Processing, many graphics, a lot of data, etc. etc.
After I create a certain number of ArrayLists, the program becomes very slow and eventually crashes... I was thinking that this may be that the heap size is too low to handle all of the data (I believe 64mb is default).  Is there some easy way that I could increase it in processing?

Thanks a lot,
Crispin
Re: Heap
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2007, 9:11pm

Goto File >> Preferences or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+Comma and then check the box next to "Set maximum available memory to" and put a big number in the box (though not more than you have RAM).
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2007, 9:28pm

Wow, thanks.  This has solved some big problems.  Will this setting be a part of my program, so that the heap size will be 256 on other computers as well? I hope so! Smiley

Cheers,
Crispin
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2007, 11:11pm

That setting is stored locally on your computer (preferences.txt). It's an easy thing to change on other computers, like ddf said. CTRL+Comma Smiley

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2007, 1:04am

Thanks for the reply Bas -

It is easy to change, however, I can't expect people running my application to be editing text files and changing numbers...

Is there any way to set the heap size automatically on other computers from my software?

Cheers,
C
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1