We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Sketch Window Size
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Sketch Window Size (Read 594 times)
Sketch Window Size
May 18th, 2007, 6:02pm

So I'm working on a project that is going to be projected with an HD projector at 1080p (1920x1080) and I'd like to make sure I can get a decent framerate with the sketch window that big (the answer so far is yes with OPENGL, though there is a bug of some sort that is crashing the app, which I plan to investigate further). However, the computer I am developing on can't run at that resolution. Even still, I figured it would be possible to just have a sketch window bigger than my display. However, that doesn't appear to be the case. The window won't go any bigger than my screen, but it still reports the size at 1920x1080 if I check the values in width and height. Anybody know how to get around this so I can actually test the target resolution before we go install the thing?
Re: Sketch Window Size
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2007, 6:51pm

the issue is covered in the reference for size():
http://processing.org/reference/size_.html

"The maximum width and height is limited by your operating system, and is usually the width and height of your actual screen. On some machines it may simply be the number of pixels on your current screen, meaning that a screen that's 800x600 could support size(1600, 300), since it's the same number of pixels. This varies widely so you'll have to try different rendering modes and sizes until you get what you're looking for. If you need something larger, use createGraphics to create a non-visible drawing surface."

my personal experience is that on macosx, i've had luck with making windows larger than the screen (even with opengl). winxp, however, seems to be limited to the exact number of pixels.
Re: Sketch Window Size
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2007, 8:38pm

Ok, thanks fry, should have checked that ref page first, silly me.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1