We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Processing:Creative Coding-Computational Art book
Pages: 1 2 
Processing:Creative Coding-Computational Art book (Read 3762 times)
Processing:Creative Coding-Computational Art book
May 17th, 2007, 8:31pm

“Processing, it’s so easy a caveman could do it?”

So, after nearly 2 years of blowing through deadlines, it seems at last my Processing book will see the light of day. The publisher will not allow me to make any more changes–so know the release date of (THIS!) May 28th (or there about) is real. For those of you who pre-ordered the book (say back before the GEICO Caveman had displaced William Hung as America’s sweetheart) know you’re getting much more book, and hopefully for the originally advertised price. The book was initially intended to be between 350-400 pages, then 600 pages and now 840 pages. There is also an additional 142 pages of “bonus” material downloadable off the http://friendsofed.com/ site. Truth be told, I tried to stuff the extra 142 pages in the book as well, but the publisher won that battle (and probably saved you all a few bucks and possibly a hernia.)

To learn more about the book, please check out: http://friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=159059617X

Better yet, why not pick up a copy Wink
http://www.amazon.com/Processing-Creative-Coding-Computational-Foundation/dp/159059617X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9257756-9966221?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179425527&sr=1-1

Of course, while you’ve got the credit card out, I also recommend purchasing Ben and Casey’s tome: http://www.amazon.com/Processing-Programming-Handbook-Designers-Artists/dp/0262182629/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9257756-9966221?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179426058&sr=8-1

I really do hope people find the books helpful; it was certainly a wonderful learning experience creating mine. Thanks especially to Ben and Casey as well as all the active posters on this board for keeping the Processing flames burning bright. It should be a very interesting year for Processing.

Happy creative coding to all,
Ira
Re: Processing:Creative Coding-Computational Art b
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2007, 6:22pm

Congratulations Ira!

I look forward to reading it. It was great to see some chapters. I can't believe how long it got.  Smiley

I very excited to see a range of books published about our little software. I think it's reaching its teenage years. Our little Processing is growing up. Sniff.

Casey

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2007, 9:15pm

I have a favor to ask.

If anyone has received a copy of the book, would you mind sending me an email at: processing at iragreenberg dot com. I received 2 boxes of author's copies last week, but I'm curious if Amazon has begun fulfilling pre-orders.

Thanks,
Ira
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2007, 4:29am

Congratulations and thanks too, irag!!!
I'll buy both books when I have some money. Now I'm "dry" Grin
Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 5:37am

Hi Ira, I've ordered your book from Amazon and it is shipping to me as we speak. Really looking forward to learning how to use Processing, being a programming newbie!

Thanks for your hard work putting it together!

Cheers
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 5:46am

Thanks atam.
I hope you enjoy the book.
Ira
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2007, 11:33am

Bravo Ira, your book is great.
It is very helpfull and well structured.
Thank for this great work
Dsan
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2007, 2:42pm

dsan,
Thanks for the kind words.
I'm really glad you find it helpful.
ira
Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2007, 9:11am

hi ira, received my copy here in frankfurt yesterday from amazon (was preordered). thanks for the great book!

best,
F
Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2007, 2:19pm

Thanks Florian!!
Ira
Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2007, 10:40am

hello mr. greenberg,

thanks for this great book. i really enjoy reading it. your evidently passionate teaching style has this rare combination of high professionality with the ability to look through the eyes of a beginner.

i only had one or two teachers that share this ability with you. its a book, its "only" written words but feels like direct teaching.

thank you.

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2007, 2:11pm

Thanks slex!
I feel like we're all perpetual "beginners" in this field, which for me is what's so engaging about it.
Ira
Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2007, 1:06am

Hi Ira, yeah gotta agree with the other posts, just got the book earlier this week and been reading through the first few chapters. Really well written, not a dry methodical instructional book on programming, which helps! It's good to read your thoughts about the creative process and about having fun experimenting while creating.

Thanks
Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2007, 6:43pm

atam,
Glad you received the book, and I appreciate your very kind comment.
Ira
Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2007, 6:29pm

i got your book last week. i'm only about 40 pages in, but good work! definite value for money!
Pages: 1 2