We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Sending processing data to Flash
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Sending processing data to Flash (Read 808 times)
Sending processing data to Flash
May 9th, 2007, 11:12am

I'm a fairly heavy user of Flash but need to use processing for a project that I'm working on. We've set up a switch through a wiring board and hooked it up to processing to recieve data.

Is there a way to send this data through to Flash in the form of a variable? The data has to be fairly real time as the user is supposed to interact with an object using the button.
Re: Sending processing data to Flash
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2007, 2:53am

Hi,

A flash movie can recieve pretty easy to a processing ap running a socket server (see the net library). In flash, use an xmlSocket object (doesn't have to have anything to do with xml!)

However if you want to send stuff back and forth to processing i'd use the p5osc library with processing, and use flosc (flash open sound control) - it runs pretty fast and is a good thing to get into, since you can then get loads of things talking to loads of other things. Plus, its all documented on the web

So:

processing : network library server  >>> xmlsocket : flash

or
processing : p5osc <<< OSC server >>>> flash

hope that helps Smiley

-h
Re: Sending processing data to Flash
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2007, 7:42am

Thanks, that socket info was exactly what I needed! I just need to send info from processing to flash one way but it's great to know that there are other options for later as well.

Thanks so much for the info. Cheesy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1