We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Processing and Jitter...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing and Jitter... (Read 647 times)
Processing and Jitter...
May 3rd, 2007, 4:23pm

Hello all,  

This is my first (proper) post, I'm having a few problems so it'd be great to know if anyone has run into the same brick wall as me...

I'm currently working on an installation project - it uses motion tracking and video processing written in jitter and (ideally!) an evolutionary algorithm and visualisation written in processing - now getting these two things talking seems to be harder than I suspected - I looked over the boards and there was some discussion of this, but it dates from Dec 2005 - it involves maxlink and running the processing patch from within jitter. What I want to do: run video from Processing to Jitter and data from Max back to Processing- that way I can use the visualisation written in Processing with the bits I've already written in Jitter...  

Is there a really obvious thing I'm missing, or is it so stupid that no-one actually bothers doing it?!

Any help would be very much appreciated at this point! I mean, is it even possible??

Thanks,  

-s.
Re: Processing and Jitter...
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2007, 2:55am

First suggestion: if there's any way to transfer higher-level information, do it.  That is, if you can send, say, shape coordinates instead of pixel level data, it'll make life much easier.

If you really need to send pixel arrays back and forth, you might be able to hack it, now that you can access Jitter arrays via the Java support in Max.  I've played with this a tiny bit, but I haven't had a whole lot of success.  Again, the less data, the better -- try really low resolution if you can get away with it.

If you're willing to divulge a bit more about the project, people might have suggestions about other approaches.
Re: Processing and Jitter...
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2007, 3:30pm

Hey there,

Thanks a lot for the response - you made some very good suggestions.

If I could get high level data out of processing to Jitter I'd then have to render each of the shapes- this wouldn't be a problem if the shapes (i.e. the creatures) weren't created and killed dynamically. Of course, I could do that in Jitter, but it'd involve some scripted and it's all already implemented in my processing patch!

I guess passing pixel arrays out of Maxlink to Jitter would be a solution (if I could work out how to do it), but I have the feeling it would be prohibitively slow, even on a Mac Pro...

As far as more details about the project, I'm not sure how much more I can say without posting the code - and I can't do that because I didn't write it... it's just this question of interfacing the 2 programs which is the problem...

The processing patch is an a-life system, with arrays of creatures of different kinds that are rendered in the draw() method. I need to get that render out to Jitter so I can use image processing to alter the render based on user input. As well as that, I'll be passing data from motion analysis directly into the processing patch via Maxlink.

Hope that's a bit clearer, thanks for your time.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1