We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
I'm lost (Read 1240 times)
I'm lost
Mar 28th, 2007, 8:33pm

I'm one of those people who first got introduced to visual programming by the works of Joshua Davis. Then I found the works of James Patterson. I then found the works of Amit Pitaru who said to take a look at Processing. I've talked to Mike Cina who said he flushed all his programming knowledge down the drain to focus on design (He has other people who are better at programming). I was hoping he would point me to a person or direction. I've tried contacting Mr. Praystation. Each year I download Processing mess with it for a couple days and then I get so frustrated cause I can't execute what I want to build and I just don't understand. Tons of hows but no whys.

I've spent countless hours perusing information. I want to build my own looping vector engine to throw vector graphics in and let the machine draw. But I want to build it. I don't want to take someones code and use it as a foundation cause I will learn nothing from that. I'm in this to learn and hopefully apply the information to new, bigger, brighter projects.

I read that there are some Processing books coming out which sounds promising.

Am I going to be able to do this with Processing (looping vector engine thingy)? Everyone I talked to said Processing is a great place to start. If not then can you point me in a direction?

Re: I'm lost
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2007, 3:05pm

The first place I start is using someone else's code.

It's rather like pulling apart an engine and putting it back together again. I can't say I learn nothing when I use other people's code because when I first encounter it I'm wondering, "how the hell did they do that" And if I can't figure it out I start from scratch, try to achieve the same end and compare. Plus there's no shame in it with open source either.

Patience also helps. If you're a quitter then you're not going to get far in anything. And if you get stuck then you can post code here and help often comes within a week or so.

You can export vector files with the proSVG library and pdf library, to name but two - check reference > libraries for other options.

Import seems limited to Candy SVG import

If you can find examples of what you're trying to achieve that also helps.
Re: I'm lost
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2007, 8:01pm

I fully agree with st33d, thats the same way I've started to learn processing. After I understand the main features I've began to look at old things I've made with director and translate it to processing. And until now I take other peoples code and use it for my projects. Last week I've had an idea to use LSystems with imported vector graphics. And I don't start to program a new LSystem cause there are enough examples how to use it in processing. Thats one of the cool things at processing that I can focus on my ideas and do not need do program all stuff from the scratch. Also the big bunch of libraries helps me that way.

And as st33d wrote the candy and pdf libraries are the one when it cames to im- and export vectorgrafix. Take  a look of my LSystem set add flickr what you can do with this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eskimoblood/sets/72157600002919018/
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1