We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Save animation as DXF, etc: possible
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Save animation as DXF, etc: possible? (Read 761 times)
Save animation as DXF, etc: possible?
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:28pm

Is there a way to save 3d drawing operations into a format that allows for multiple frames of data?  In other words, a way to create a 3d animation mesh file that can be opened in a 3D software package like 3DS or Blender?

Or maybe there is a way to stitch together multiple DXFs?

So far my searches haven't found anything too useful.  Thanks if anyone has a tip..

Re: Save animation as DXF, etc: possible?
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2007, 12:46am

There are no libraries to do that for processing at the moment. And as far as I know most 3D animation nowadays uses bones and keyframes and the like, rather than vertex positions per frame, so it may be hard to find a format that would support such a thing.
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2007, 1:00am

Yeah that's *mostly* what I'm seeing too.  

But it can be done.. I just noticed that Toxi and others have made amazing looking animations with the Sunflow renderer.  POV Ray and Maxwell are two other possibilities I've seen people using.  Time for more research!

Edit:

So it looks like in order to use these external renderers, one has to draw a scene file using the renderer's (sometimes very complicated) description language. After a VERY preliminary look, it seems that Sunflow might have a slightly easier learning curve than POV-ray (the two leading open-source candidates).

This is intriguing.  I am constantly impressed by the free tools out there!
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2007, 7:39pm

there is this format called mdd. it can store vertex information per frame. tools like point oven and lightwave can manage mdd files.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1