We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
How do i render sketches? (Read 1025 times)
How do i render sketches?
Feb 23rd, 2007, 3:03pm

Hello mates, im very new to this program, and i wanted to just try to render something to see how it works.

I went to the learning section of the site, and found a cool Spring effect. I put the code in, and i press Play, and it shows the same.

My questions:

How can i render this and what kind of files will it be?
Can i make the render into an .exe or a java file, so others can view it on their computers?

Thanks for the help.
Re: How do i render sketches?
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 3:25pm

What you want is the "Export" option. It doesn't "render" it really, what you see is a program, not a movie, and what you get out of the export is a program as well rather than any kind of pre-computer video or suchlike.

Export will create a web-version of the sketch, you just need to upload the contents of the "applet" directory that it creates to a web server, and anyone with Java can come along can play with the sketch.

Export Application will create (in essence) a .exe version of the program which people can run themselves.
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 3:41pm

Oh, thanks

But i get this error when trying to Export Application:

C:/Documents and Settings/xxx/Skrivebord/processing-0124/processing-0124/..java:0:0:0:0: Semantic Error: The input file "C:/Documents and Settings/xxx/Mine dokumenter/Processing/spring/application.windows/spring.java" was not found.

I've dobbelchecked, the file is there. But its marked as a .txt file, wich means: Icon looks like a notepadicon, but the filename and type is spring.java .
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2007, 3:29am

The problem you've got is simple.

Windows is hidding the second extension of files. (e.g mysketch.pde.txt will be shown as mysketch.pde, but in fact for windows, it's a txt file)

You must move the spring.java file from your sketch folder to c:\
Then > Start Menu > run > type in cmd and press enter

In the command window type this :

cd c:  (press enter)
ren spring.java.txt spring.java  (press enter)

You can move spring.java to the its original sketch folder.

Now i think you can export as application without errors.

I hope this will help. Wink
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1