We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › digital still camera control
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
digital still camera control (Read 678 times)
digital still camera control
Feb 20th, 2007, 2:16am

Hello,

I have a couple of newbie questions concerning digital still camera control in processing:

1) Is it possible to trigger a camera's shutter from processing? via USB?

2) Most cameras automatically go into "memory" mode when connected to a computer via USB (i.e. camera's memory mounted as a drive). Is it possible to control the camera mode so that one could  switch between "camera" and "memory" modes?

Basically, I'm using a digital SLR camera to take hi-resolution long exposure photographs, and need a way to BOTH trigger shots, and move image files from the camera's memory to a hard drive.

I'm hoping to avoid video capture altogether since I don't want to deal with mocking up a long exposure-like effect. Not to mention there would probably be image resolution limitations(?).

Has anyone had success doing something similar? Are there any specific cameras out there known to be easy to work with remotely?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks,

daniel
Re: digital still camera control
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2007, 8:02am

If you do a google search on 'tethered' shooting, you will see that some 3rd party software is required for this. The companies creating the dSLRs dont use a standard method for this sort of functionality, but provide some SDKs for certain higher end cameras.

I believe bibble pro v 4.9 has tethered shooting support for most cameras. Check that out.

If you get anything working, I would love to know.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1