We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › double buffering
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
double buffering ? (Read 767 times)
double buffering ?
Feb 15th, 2007, 5:15pm

Hello

I just discovered processing and i am interesting in testing it, i have a few questions:
is there double buffering ?  Most of the examples i saw seem to suffer flickering and look terrible.
is the sound lag fixed ?

thank you
pat.
Re: double buffering ?
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2007, 5:23pm

Procesing is always double buffered. There's no way to make it single buffered. And flickering you've seen is down to other reasons.

As for sound, it depends what kind of lag you're meaning, and which library. For playback, it's fairly instantaneous if you've got the samples loaded and ready, the only pssible issue is with sound input/munging/output which can be delayed.
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2007, 5:31pm

If i look at this example, the 2 lines "blink" when they're on the top 50% of the picture.

http://processing.org/learning/examples/backgroundimage.html

pat.
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2007, 5:39pm

I think it's more that they're stuttering (e.g. not moving when they should) because of the framerate command tyrying to keep the rate constant. Things aren't being put on screen before they're fully ready, there's no way to make processing do that.

The examples are all very very simple things showing just a couple of features. Things people have made are generally more complex and look a lot better, check out the Exhibition section for a more real-world-use look at what processing can do.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1