We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Errors when using Processing in Java Environment
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Errors when using Processing in Java Environment (Read 1855 times)
Errors when using Processing in Java Environment
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:28am

Hi ppl. Im using eclipse java to write processing. i wrote a program identical in Java as it is in processing yet i keep getting errors on the "setup" and "draw" methods , and i have imported the processing .core jar and all.

The error i get is
"Cannot reduce the visibility of the inherited method from Applet"

Does anyone know what im doing wrong?
Re: Errors when using Processing in Java Environme
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2007, 12:40am

did you do:

public void setup () { ... }
^^^^^

you need the "public" in java.

F
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2007, 12:41am

D'oh! a rookie mistake...thanks..im embarrassed now.lol.
Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2007, 1:06am

happens all the time, don't worry ..

F
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 2:07pm

mine just don't run. i'm using the jgrasp ide in windows xp, and i've got java sdk and re 1.4.2_13 i believe.

i copied the .java file created by Processing directly, and compiled with the core.jar file included.. but the applet will not run.

do i need to include other .jar files, or do i need to add a PATH/CLASSPATH or something like that?
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:47pm

ok.. i pulled it off. i will begin compiling a walkthrough with screenshots, and post a link to it when i am finished. the method i used to get around the errors may be easier to implement if i knew the eclipse interface a bit more, but it is nonetheless functional.

not hard to do, either... just took a while to find the problem.

i will post the walkthrough in a separate thread most likely.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1