We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Quartz Composer & Processing
Pages: 1 2 
Quartz Composer & Processing (Read 9294 times)
Quartz Composer & Processing
Dec 26th, 2006, 3:37pm

Hi, anybody there could make any app with this 2 monsters?

I started to work with processing and quartz, and i saw that there is posible run JAVA code from Quartz, but i dont know if i could integrate processing code in quartz, or run quartz from processing.

thnx

Re: Quartz Composer & Processing
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2006, 10:22am

Done, posted oct. 19, 2006: http://sc-fa.com/?p=66

Some clarifications:  Quartz composer will let you run Javascript, not java, so no direct integration with processing is possible as far as code goes.  However, Processing understands quicktime, so you can build whatever you want in QC, and then import the exported QT movie to processing...  voila...
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2007, 1:37pm

Steve Thanx a lot!
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2007, 3:21pm

I've made an archive containing all the osc plugin and framework needed to make Quartz Composer communicate with Processing or any OSC enabled software.

You can download it here:

http://www.megaphile.com/file/3210/P5-QC-zip.html

The source code is provided, so you can improve it as long as you know xcode. Wink
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2007, 3:36pm

u r the one!!!
i cant wait to prove this code!
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2007, 3:45pm

since quicktime can play QC files, you should be able to just use them as movies with the Movie class of Processings video library .. haven't tested it though.

F
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2007, 3:56pm

yes but i loose comunication with my compositions.

i´m trying to make a composition with some blob and edege detection, work with fiducial markers, etc.
Use the graphic power of QC and the libraries from Processing for blobdetection, edge detection etc.

thnx
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2007, 4:18pm

fjen wrote on Jan 25th, 2007, 3:45pm:
since quicktime can play QC files, you should be able to just use them as movies with the Movie class of Processings video library .. haven't tested it though.

F

This is what i did before and it was not really fast for rendering.

sending osc informations directly to QC will gives you faster rendering. Wink
Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2007, 4:45pm

right, that's because processings video-lib is a framegrabber rather than a (direct to screen) player. it will translate every new available frame into a processing pimage, see here. which makes sense, since that way you can read and manipulate the pixels inside processing ..

i was working on a qtjava based library for a while that would do the reverse and put processing as a layer into quicktime. but there were flicker-issues (probably sync problems) which made me give up. but still i think there's a lot of room in the qt-processing area, and with QC too of course. Smiley

thanks for sharing your xcode projects btw!

F
Reply #9 - May 18th, 2007, 5:06pm

so then is there a way to port that pimage directly into quartz composer? Or better yet, does anyone have a patch that will do it? Seems like osc will only port data and not the actual image right?
Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 7:56pm

This is brilliant, thanks so much.  Unfortunately I'm on an intel so I am expecting some issues.

If not many people have used Quartz composer I thoroughly recommend it.  Although nowhere near as extensible as processing, the speed at which it renders graphics is amazing, and it has a very simple interface.
Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 8:45pm

Sorry to repost so soon!

jaylfk, I'm having a hard time getting quartz to receive any osc messages.  I'm sure I"m missing something simple, as I haven't played with processing in a while, and never with OSC but i was wondering if you might be able to talk me through a simple example.

I have opened your quartz composition, and it is awaiting a message at port 5500 (I think)!.  I then opened the message example from the p5 osc library, and changed the sending port to 5500.  I assumed it would be this easy, but unfortunately aren't getting any results.

Thanks in advance, this is a really exciting plugin you've created.

Tim
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:48pm

Hi timmy,

First of all, i'm not the creator of the QC plugin, credit goes to www.lalalila.org (QC plugin source) and www.mat.ucsb.edu/~c.ramakr/ (ObjCOSC.framework source). Smiley

I just used their source code and compiled a working version for PPC/INTEL.

The problem you've experiencing is a known bug (from ObjCOSC.framework).
I was working on it last week when i had an idea :
Trying it on Leopard.

There are two news, a bad and a good one.

The bad one > the QC plugin and the OSC Framework are not working on Leopard.

The good one > Quartz Composer 3.0 supports OSC natively and it is working great with P5 !

So i don't think i will try to fix the Framework bug as Leopard is gonna be unleashed soon and the bug is only present on INTEL MAC.

Anyway if you like to give a try on the OSC QC plugin, you must edit and re-type the OSCRoute "Null" String Value and save your composition again. (by editing the value, it appears to temporarily fix the problem).

Keep your P5 sketch launched when doing this and you'll see the result on the fly.

The other solution (slower) is to launch Quartz Composer by Rosetta. Smiley
Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:24am

great news, thanks for the tips.

looking forward to leopard then.

Tim
Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2007, 3:26am

To Timmy_b
Maybe you have done the same error as me. You forget to fixed the string in the input tag of the patch "OSCRoute" in Quatz Composer. What I mean is you have to write the first part of the Osc message you are sending in this field. For example, in Processing I send the message "test" followed by the integer "123". So you need to type "test" in the field of the input tag in Quartz Composer. Then, you gonna see the contents of the message, wich is "123" showing in your composition.
I hope this is what you missed.
Pages: 1 2