We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › OPENGL broken with new Java 1.5
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
OPENGL broken with new Java 1.5 (Read 2155 times)
OPENGL broken with new Java 1.5
Dec 24th, 2006, 7:54pm

This isn't actually a processing bug, which is why I'm posting it here:

The most recent update to Java 1.5 breaks jogl. I get this message when trying to run a sketch in OPENGL mode:

javax.media.opengl.GLException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
Re: OPENGL broken with new Java 1.5
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2006, 8:28pm

what exact version? what platform?
Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2006, 8:47pm

Win XP (SP2)
Java Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
Processing 0123

I never had this problem with the previous Java 1.5, which is build 0_9. Also, I downloaded the P0123 that comes with Java and it worked just fine. So I suspect some slight change they made in build 0_10 is not working with jogl.

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2006, 4:08pm

Obviously, one solution is to simply download the version of Processing that includes Java. The other solution is to go to this link:

https://jogl.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=6624&expandFolde
r=6624&folderID=0

And grab the version for your system. Copy the files into the opengl/library folder. This will fix the problem I was having. I imagie you guys probably won't want to update the version of jogl included with Processing until they have a more complete fix (the jogl forum says this is a rushed fix).
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2007, 5:52pm

Ew... did the new java COMPLETELY break opengl? After I updated I can't seem to run my exported executable apps.

*edit* running programs directly from processing works, however the exported executables don't.

Windows XP machine.

Strange though, old executable apps (like around processing 85) still work, with GL. So, not sure if it's a GL problem anymore...
Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2007, 6:35pm

older versions of p5 used a very old version of jogl, that tends to work better on other machines. it would appear that java 1.5_10 broke jogl 1.0, the more recent version of the api.

as for the 1.1rc1 updates on the sun page, i might use them because this bug is really gonna bite us, but they don't appear to be signed (only final versions of jogl are signed), so they're worthless to us--we'd be trading sun's bug with a security exception.
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 9:56pm

i've filed a bug for this one that includes background and the workaround:
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=513

you can now install jre 1.5.0_11 that will fix things. i've also added an error message (god help us) to 0124 that notifies a user if they try to use opengl with 1.5.0_10.

(edit) closing this thread, follow-ups can happen over in the bugs db.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1