We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Are there file loaders besides .OBJ
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Are there file loaders besides .OBJ? (Read 1614 times)
Are there file loaders besides .OBJ?
Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:48pm

I have been using CAD programs for my model construction.  I use primarily Mechanical Desktop by autodesk, Alibre and SolidWorks.  I can export to various formats: .SAT, .IGS, .WRL.  I have been programming in Java3D and I was making my own *.OBJ files by hand.  My models are considerably more complex than I am able to code.  I'd like to either find a way to convert my existing files into OBJ. -or- load directly them into P5.  Any suggestions?
Re: Are there file loaders besides .OBJ?
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2006, 7:40pm

Comment: hey, Exhibition is for work exhibition...

Can you export directly to OBJ? I think you must use 3D software to do that.

1. Have a look: http://users.design.ucla.edu/~tatsuyas/tools/objloader/index.htm

Processing libraries.

2. Are you asking about [File > Export]?

Nach.
Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2006, 7:50pm

nickem, please don't double-post.
Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2006, 10:18pm

Thank you for your unusual request.  I do not recollect double posting, Mr. Moderator Fry!  I am here looking for intelligent instruction regarding 3D and the use of .OBJ files.  If you have no comments regarding my research, please go bother somebody else.  

If you are aware of methods regarding the conversion of the previously mentioned file formats (SAT, IGS, WRL) into .OBJ format -or- if you have some suggestions for directly loading the aforementioned files (SAT, IGS, WRL)directly into a P5 program, your input would be greatly appreciated.

I am able to load .OBJ files, unfortunately I do not have native OBJ files and I do not, at this time, have a conversion program to make OBJ from (SAT, IGS, WRL) files.

capiche?

Now, if I did something wrong, just dump my messages and get on with your moderating.
Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2006, 11:12pm

nickem wrote on Dec 24th, 2006, 10:18pm:
I do not recollect double posting

Sad I've seen IT... and it had been deleted by Fry.

You are being very injust (a real Scrooge in Dec. 24). You're gettin an intelligent attitude for look for an "intelligent instruction"...
"regarding 3D and the use of .OBJ files" seems to me like going to buy one toothbrush to a Pastry shop: why don't you search 3D info into especialiced forums (f.e. 3Dcafe)
Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2006, 11:16pm

TY
Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2006, 11:20pm

Ure very welcome!

One Saludo.
Nach.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1