We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › JavaApplicationStub in skeleton is PowerPC only
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
JavaApplicationStub in skeleton is PowerPC only ? (Read 509 times)
JavaApplicationStub in skeleton is PowerPC only ?
Dec 14th, 2006, 8:04pm

Processing for OS X is Universal Binary, but why JavaApplicationStub in skeleton is only compiled for PowerPC ?

Are Sketches getting serious performance hit when runned as OS X application on Intel Mac ?

Rosetta is not the best thing to use for such cpu intensive apps.

This is what Console is showing when i run an application exported Processing project.

Quote:
[JavaAppLauncher] application launched with ppc-thin application stub. Using native application stub instead.

In the activity monitor there isn't any PowerPC app.

But when i "command+i" an app (exported with P5) it says "Kind: Application (PowerPC).

i'm a little confused.

[Edit]
i've found an universal version in my system here :

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS/JavaAppli
cationStub

Do i need to replace the one inside processing/lib/export/skeleton.app/Contents/MacOS/ ?
Re: JavaApplicationStub in skeleton is PowerPC onl
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2006, 10:06pm

the stub just needs to be updated in the export skeleton.. i'm not sure why that didn't happen when i made the update to make p5 itself universal.. except that this will also lock out anyone not using 10.3.9+ from using an app created by processing.

but no, this shouldn't cause any sort of performance hit, since JavaAppLauncher is catching it anyway.

to my knowledge, only x86 java is installed on intel macs--so there's no way to actually run java in rosetta. but i could be wrong on that part.
Re: JavaApplicationStub in skeleton is PowerPC onl
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2006, 10:39pm

After spying on the filesystem activities, i've found that the ppc-stub in fact wasn't loaded.

The console report, now, does make sense. Wink

Quote:
... Using native application stub instead.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1