We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › builtwithprocessing.org
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
builtwithprocessing.org (Read 2365 times)
builtwithprocessing.org
Nov 20th, 2006, 12:28am

hi folks,

i'm releasing a preview / simple browser version of my builtwithprocessing project to you processors. it's currently a plain link-collection of many online processing-sketches (by you). here's the link:

http://builtwithprocessing.org/browse.php

builtwithprocessing will be / is a meta-sketchbook housing all sketches that:
( 1 ) are currently online (or were at the last database update)
( 3 ) have the source-files linked and online
( 2 ) have the string "Built with Processing" on the webpage with the applet

i have many things on my list i want to do with it, but i'm open to any comments / ideas. let me know what you think.

it's currently only manualy updated by myself (which mean i upload a new database dump once a week). that will change once the database is in it's final layout.

i have about 1/3 of the sketches screenshoted (almost 4 days straight, thanks carolin!). these will go into the site next.

best,
F
Re: builtwithprocessing.org
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2006, 9:36pm

Wow, that's an impressively long list you've compiled. Interesting to see just how many things have been made with processing.
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2006, 11:57pm

yeah, it's 4221 sketches in the database at the moment (in 479 sketchbooks). i estimate there's about another 30% out there. even my own domain (bezier.de) is not showing up ...

an update takes about 10 hours. one script gathers the plain urls from various sources. another one checks every url in that list against the three rules ( online & applet, "built with processing", sources linked and online ), against the database and a blacklist. then each url is attached to a sketchbook (domain) and activated for online viewing.
from every run i get an estimated 1% "new" sketches. some previously collected sketches get deactivated because domains disappear or files were moved on the webserver. so these might show up as new too.

wait til you see the screenshots. i know it's pretty hard to browse the sketches just by name ...

best,
F
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2006, 11:09am

2006-11-26, A WEEK(END)LY UPDATE:

- cleaned the sketchbook-menu a little (a-z index)
- added (some) preview-images (*)

(*) still about 1/3 missing for about 1900 sketches, since i have to make them by hand ... and i'm not a robot.

i will add a mechanism (don't hold your breath until then) to claim sketchbooks (a la google's sitemap) and that will allow you to add/remove images yourself. ... and edit other sketch and sketchbook related things (name, licenses, add, remove, ...)

-- oh, i'm uploading (~ 12600 images) while i'm writing this .. so wait 1/2 hour before you complain about missing images --

as always, your comments are welcome.

F
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2006, 1:03pm

Hi Florian

First thanks a lot for this amazing project. Here are some comments:

Have you thought about capturing the preview images automatically. You could load the jar file start it and grab a screenshot. Here is link:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/deployment/jar/jarclassloader.html

Will you also add some tagging and ranking support?

Have you tried: "filetype:pde size" in google maybe that gives you some more sketches.
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2006, 1:36pm

hi tex!

thanks for your comments!

yeah, i tried using the classloader to make the screenshots. there were several problems with that:
- most sketches need input of some kind (mouse, keyboard, sound, ... )
- some sketches (about 5%) fail to load because of some error
- some sketches are signed and you need to confirm that in order to run them
- ... and i had trouble with the classloader thing. if you have a working example which load an arbitrary sketch from the net, let me know. i'd love to have the process automated!

currently i'm using a mixup of applescript / php / mysql / imagemagick / os-x' screengrab tool / ...
works like this: applescript grabs a sketch-url from the database (mysql/php) tells appletviewer to load that. then screengrab starts in (delayed) window-mode. here i start playing with the applet and 5 times every 4 secs i'm in screenshot-mode and click the window. the screenshot is written to a sorted folder-tree and cropped (title- & status-bar). then it's written (filename) back to the database ...

tagging and ranking are on the way. i can only spend some hours on the weekend on the project, so these are gonna happen in mid-december i guess.

i think i have tried the "filetype:pde size" query. but latest updates were only done with "built with proce(ss|55)ing". last update is about a week old.

-- i had to interupt the upload of the preview-images ... gonna continue now --

best,
F
Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2006, 1:29pm

STATUS 2006-12-03

Had a really good run last night, the number of sketches in the database jumped from 4400 to 6300 ... enjoy browsing!

(And i am just uploading some more preview-images .. might take a sec.)

best,
F
Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2006, 1:39pm

NEWS: 2006-12-04

I'm gonna show a slideshow with all sketch-screenshots we've made so far (~13.000 !) at a party on saturday (2006-12-09) . We're celebrating the first year of our studio-house. Anyone close to Frankfurt /Main, Germany, is very welcome to have a beer with me. Ask for Flo.

F
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1