We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Java goes GPL
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Java goes GPL (Read 1739 times)
Java goes GPL
Nov 13th, 2006, 3:47pm

Sun has announced that the source code behind Java will be released under the GPL (the same license as Processing)

http://java.net/

I never thought we'd see this, but it's terrific news. I have no illusions that this will somehow cure all that ails Java, or that the project will suddenly lurch forward because of the emergence of some large number of developer volunteers, but I do think it helps remove at least one tether regarding the relationship of the project to industry: that Sun's intentions with Java were always a bit murky. While it was free to download and use, that fact had more to do with 1) the fact that they wouldn't really be able to "sell" it, 2) they still wanted to somehow be able to use it to pound Microsoft, and 3) it's not clear if they would have tried to actually sell it or give it a more onerous license if they had the chance to (i.e. if adoption was far higher).

My thoughts on the actual impact are that:

+ Perhaps this will have the greatest impact in the mobile area, where as I understand it, J2ME is still clobbering the neutered version of Flash that's used on mobile devices. As this will presumably remove licensing overhead for manufacturers, it may help adoption where Flash has begun to make inroads.

+ On the other end of the spectrum, the "enterprise" editions of Java will likely be invaded by engineers from IBM, who have shown an in interest in the big 'n fat edition of Java.

+ And back in the middle, the J2SE (what's included with P5) may benefit most by its simpler inclusion with web browsers. Personally, if someone could simply solve the issues of the slow startup time of the Java VM inside a browser, then I would consider the open-sourcing of the project a success. Wink

But again, i think the impact will not be so much that the code will magically get fixed from volunteer hordes, but the perception of the project and how it can be licensed and distributed more freely.

hm, that was going to be a quick note since i'd not formed intelligent arguments about these things, but instead you get a ramble.
Re: Java goes GPL
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2006, 2:41pm

wow this is super exciting

" + And back in the middle, the J2SE (what's included with P5) may benefit most by its simpler inclusion with web browsers. Personally, if someone could simply solve the issues of the slow startup time of the Java VM inside a browser, then I would consider the open-sourcing of the project a success."

Totally... that would make Java "cool" again Smiley I think this is the biggest gripe for general users.
Re: Java goes GPL
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2006, 9:59pm

... In the meantime, is there any way to displaying something else while the applet is initialising apart from the java logo? Even if the load time stays long, it would be great to be able to customise the display during initialisation.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1