We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Best place to start learning processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Best place to start learning processing? (Read 1081 times)
Best place to start learning processing?
Nov 8th, 2006, 3:04pm

I come from an art and design background and am interested in learning about Processing. My programming skills are very basic and the learning section is not what I need at present. Where would anybody recommend I start?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Re: Best place to start learning processing?
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2006, 3:28pm

Hi Jason,

did you take a look at the courses page Many workshops and courses offer very basic introductions on their pages ...

Best,
F
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2006, 3:49pm

Hi F,

I just had a look at the course page. Problem is I am in my last year of a Digital Art degree at Kingston College (London). So undertaking another course will not be feasible.

I am actually thinking of producing a generative art piece for my final project. I have had a look at processing and some of examples in the learning section. It's just I would like to understand the basics before editing bits of code.

Thanks again...
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2006, 4:43pm

jai,
Check out:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Collaboration;action=display;num=1159431041
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2006, 12:24pm

hi jai,

i think after looking at the environment and the structure block in learning you're ready to start to experiment with altering some of the example code.

btw. i didn't propose you to take a course, i was just saying have a look at some of the workshop-pages. this one by marius for example.

why don't you just start somewhere and if you run into any problems search and ask here in discourse.

best,
F
Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2006, 12:29pm

Hi F,

Thanks for the replies! Will have a look and start playing around!

Will keep you guys upadated!

Jai
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2006, 2:58pm

Alright dude, I'm also in a final year slot doing Multimedia Production and Technology, and like you decided to use processing in my final year project. I've found the best way to learn is simply to rip apart the learning codes and use your imagination to implement what you know. Keep me up to date with what you've been trying. See you round

/James
Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2006, 3:12pm

Sup Dude...

Yeah 3rd finally caught up on me. Am learning a few things mostly 3d work. Some of my work is on http://www.jasonlaroza.com. Processing seems like the next step for digital based art. Generative ideas and processes can only be good thing!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1