We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › Slow save/new
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Slow save/new (Read 1783 times)
Slow save/new
Nov 6th, 2006, 9:20am

Hi!

I have a problem with Processing IDE. When I press "new" or "save" it takes long to perform the save and to return to its original context. With long i mean, it can take 30s ~ 1m to allow me continue using the IDE.

Have anybody deal with this problem?

Thanks, F.
Re: Slow save/new
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2006, 2:11pm

do you have an enormous sketchbook folder? or perhaps a couple  sketches that have a few thousand frames from saveFrame()?

what sort of machine are you using?
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2006, 2:47pm

Yeah! Both! Just for knowing: why is that a problem?

F.
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2006, 5:59pm

every time you press new or save, it's resetting the sketchbook-menu.. that function loops through all the folders and files, to see what's what.. thus taking longer time, for more sketches / files

-seltar
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2006, 7:52pm

if you'll file a bug for it in the db, i'll take a look into it. i could instead run it on a separate thread, which would mean that the sketchbook menu wouldn't update until it was ready, but i think the chance of that being a problem versus the problem you found is much less.

that is, if you create a new sketch or rename it, it's less likely that you're going to head right back to the sketch menu to re-open it within the first 10-30 sec of its creation.

edit, more details:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=SoftwareBugs;action=display;num=1141126582
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1