We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
camera connection (Read 1048 times)
camera connection
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:46am

hi there!

I am studying audio-visual arts and i am new in the family of "processing".
I want to make a project in which i will definetely use my camera. The point
is that i don't know much about that and i may need your help. My camera is
a sony hdv and the connection can be established by the firewire port of my
mac computer.
I am waiting for your comments, thanks in advance
Nikolas
Re: camera connection
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 8:28pm

Read this : http://processing.org/reference/libraries/video/index.html

Then read every message in this part of the forum.
Re: camera connection
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2006, 9:14pm

The basic concept is, when somebody enters a black room, the camera(which will be connected to the computer) will recognize the figure, and then with the processing analyzing/understanding it, according to the height of the person, a musical instrument will be generated and be projected on the wall.

For example when a short man enters the room, a violin will appear on the wall, but if a tall man enters, a guitar or another musical instrument will be generated and projected.

I have searched the libraries and i have found ones that will probably help me but the main question, is how will the program in the processing understand the figure and how can I make a grid on the picture from the camera and give the program to understand where the person is and what instrument will be projected.

Can anybody help me to set up the code in the processing, or give ideas I can use to search alone and make it?I know it is difficult and the problem is that I have just started, as I mentioned in the previous topic, so I do not know much to develop my idea.

Thanks in advance.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1